Samba question on Fedora Core 3 on VMWare 4.5.2 on WinXP Host - Questions

This is a discussion on Samba question on Fedora Core 3 on VMWare 4.5.2 on WinXP Host - Questions ; I use Fedora Core 3 (FC3) on VMWare Ver 4.5.2 build-8848 on a WinXP host. Everything seems to be okay except accessing the FC3 directories from WinXP and other machines on the network. Is there any special issue with Samba ...

  1. Samba question on Fedora Core 3 on VMWare 4.5.2 on WinXP Host

    I use Fedora Core 3 (FC3) on VMWare Ver 4.5.2 build-8848 on a WinXP host.
    Everything seems to be okay except accessing the FC3 directories from WinXP
    and other machines on the network.
    Is there any special issue with Samba on FC3 ?
    Can some Samba/FC3 expert kindly post an absolute minimal smb.conf file with
    no security no user limitation etc?
    I just want to access FC3's /home directory from all computers on my small
    LAN.

  2. Re: Samba question on Fedora Core 3 on VMWare 4.5.2 on WinXP Host

    >I use Fedora Core 3 (FC3) on VMWare Ver 4.5.2 build-8848 on a WinXP host.
    > Everything seems to be okay except accessing the FC3 directories from
    > WinXP and other machines on the network.
    > Is there any special issue with Samba on FC3 ?
    > Can some Samba/FC3 expert kindly post an absolute minimal smb.conf file
    > with no security no user limitation etc?
    > I just want to access FC3's /home directory from all computers on my small
    > LAN.
    >

    > Otal Hakswsi wrote:
    >> how to disable firewall in Fedora Core 3

    > /sbin/service iptables stop
    > If you want to disable iptables startup on boot:
    > /sbin/chkconfig iptables off
    >>

    > /etc/init.d/iptables stop

    Thank you all.
    I had a problem not being able to use samba on VMWare 4.5.2 on WinXP host,
    and I thought if it is due to firewall.
    I've disabled the firewall (thanks to your help) and now samba is working on
    VMWare.
    How can I enable nd/or block certain ports etc on wirewall so that samba
    works fine but system still stay safe.
    Once again thank you for your help.

    Otal

+ Reply to Thread