su from root to user - Questions

This is a discussion on su from root to user - Questions ; we recently upgraded to Centos 4 and now for some reason when we try to go from root to another user we get {su - user su: incorrect password} In the past it has always done this automaticly. Has there ...

  1. su from root to user

    we recently upgraded to Centos 4 and now for some reason when we try to
    go from root to another user we get
    {su - user
    su: incorrect password}
    In the past it has always done this automaticly. Has there been some
    default change we don't know about or is the problem elsewhere.

  2. Re: su from root to user

    In article <1110841530.789161.307930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wayne.parker@gmail.com wrote:

    >we recently upgraded to Centos 4 and now for some reason when we try to
    >go from root to another user we get
    >{su - user
    > su: incorrect password}

    Interesting - never seen that one before. As root (with root's
    environment), do

    strace -eopen su - user

    and see where things are b0rked.

    Old guy

  3. Re: su from root to user

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:05:30 +0000, wayne.parke wrote:

    > we recently upgraded to Centos 4 and now for some reason when we try to
    > go from root to another user we get
    > {su - user
    > su: incorrect password}
    > In the past it has always done this automaticly. Has there been some
    > default change we don't know about or is the problem elsewhere.

    I had posted a similiar problem for my nis client not allowing
    a nis user to use su. One suggestion I received was to use
    the wheel group for users you want to have access to root
    (su - root). I havent tried it yet but it may be worth trying.

+ Reply to Thread