Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem - Questions

This is a discussion on Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem - Questions ; Hi, can anyone shed any light on a small problem I have. After evaluating a couple of Linux distros on my PC (I tried Mandrake 10.1 and Suse 9.2) I chose Suse and decided to put it on a higher ...

  1. Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem

    Hi,
    can anyone shed any light on a small problem I have.

    After evaluating a couple of Linux distros on my PC (I tried Mandrake
    10.1 and Suse 9.2) I chose Suse and decided to put it on a higher spec
    box and install win 2000 on the old "linux" box (for the kids to use).

    However, I am having some difficulty installing Win 2000.

    When I inserted the CD it started OK and then stopped with the
    message:

    file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 7

    OK I thought - Maybe it's due to the linux bootloader, so, I wiped the
    disk and did an fdisk/mbr.

    tried again and same error!

    I then tried to install another linux distro (fedora core 3) both out
    of curiosity to see what it looked like and also to see if anything
    could be loaded.

    Sure enough the system loaded and runs fine.

    Anyone know why I can't load windoze

    Kev

  2. Re: Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem

    Kev Parkin wrote:

    > file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 7

    This is not about Linux, it's a windows problem. With that said, try
    resetting your BIOS to the default settings....

  3. Re: Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem

    Thanks,
    tried that, no difference, think I will try installing from a bog
    standard CD drive that I know has workedin the past.

    Kev