mouse instability - Questions

This is a discussion on mouse instability - Questions ; I am running Fedora core-3. it shares a belkin mouse/keyboard/moinitor switch box with 2 other PCs (windows-xp and xandros). when i switch from fedora to, say, the xp pc and then eventually come back to fedora, my mouse is unusable. ...

  1. mouse instability

    I am running Fedora core-3. it shares a belkin mouse/keyboard/moinitor switch
    box with 2 other PCs (windows-xp and xandros). when i switch from fedora to,
    say, the xp pc and then eventually come back to fedora, my mouse is unusable.
    it's not that there is no response, it's that the slightest movement creates a
    beehive of insane program selection activity (as if i were superman with the
    mouse:moving/clicking with astonishing spees).

    i seem to recall having this problem years ago with RH 8 or 9 and fixed it by
    twiddling something in XF86Config or some such. not only can i not remember what
    i did to resolve it then, but i cannot even find XF86Config on fedora.

    i recently upgraded to fedora (from rh-9) on 'general principles'...i clearly
    did not do my homework wrt understanding the differences. my laziness aside, i
    cannot seem to find any info on this problem. i managed to figure it out in the
    past but have failed in doing so this time around. i gotta believe i'm not alone
    with this issue.

    any advice?

    Tx,

    - rich

    --
    rich.coco@verizon.net

  2. Re: mouse instability

    I see a typo in my reply. Of course when coming back to from a
    terminal selection, the mouse unfreezes, or resumes normal behaviour.
    Of course it is a kludge. but it is reputed to work and works on
    my machines. It is because the Ps/2 mouse is not hot pluggable
    like the old serial mice. It just may be that by going to a serial
    mouse you could cure the problem, but I have not experimented with
    that.

    There is stuff on some KVM websites, perhaps Belkin about linux to
    windows mouse behaviour, and also on other news groups. A google search
    on the problem will elucidate solutions. I know some manufacturers claim
    to have software solutions, but at least one that claims compatibility
    and seamless change over in fact does not work. The units that are
    claimed to work are in the multi hundred shekel range of credit units.

    EC<:-}

    Rich Coco wrote:
    > I am running Fedora core-3. it shares a belkin mouse/keyboard/moinitor
    > switch box with 2 other PCs (windows-xp and xandros). when i switch from
    > fedora to, say, the xp pc and then eventually come back to fedora, my
    > mouse is unusable. it's not that there is no response, it's that the
    > slightest movement creates a beehive of insane program selection
    > activity (as if i were superman with the mouse:moving/clicking with
    > astonishing spees).
    >
    > i seem to recall having this problem years ago with RH 8 or 9 and fixed
    > it by twiddling something in XF86Config or some such. not only can i not
    > remember what i did to resolve it then, but i cannot even find
    > XF86Config on fedora.
    >
    > i recently upgraded to fedora (from rh-9) on 'general principles'...i
    > clearly did not do my homework wrt understanding the differences. my
    > laziness aside, i cannot seem to find any info on this problem. i
    > managed to figure it out in the past but have failed in doing so this
    > time around. i gotta believe i'm not alone with this issue.
    >
    > any advice?
    >
    > Tx,
    >
    > - rich
    >
    > --