Timesys 2.4.21 Realtime Kernel and XFree86 4.3.0 - Questions

This is a discussion on Timesys 2.4.21 Realtime Kernel and XFree86 4.3.0 - Questions ; Hi, I have Timesys 2.4.21 realtime kernel mounted using nfs on a Ampro Littleboard 700 SBC (Single Board Computer) ( http://www.ampro.com/assets/applets/..._Datasheet.pdf ). This SBC has Integrated S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 controller with AGP 4X. The graphics chip is VIA8606. I ...

  1. Timesys 2.4.21 Realtime Kernel and XFree86 4.3.0

    Hi,

    I have Timesys 2.4.21 realtime kernel mounted using nfs on a Ampro
    Littleboard 700 SBC (Single Board Computer)
    (http://www.ampro.com/assets/applets/..._Datasheet.pdf).
    This SBC has Integrated S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 controller with AGP
    4X. The graphics chip is VIA8606.

    I want to run X for some graphics application. I tried to install
    XFree86 versions 4.2.x, 4.3.0 and 4.4.0, but all in vain. I was
    however, successful in installing XFree86-4.0.3 with glibc-2.1 for this
    realtime kernel. The problem is I am not able to start X. So I searched
    the internet for this graphics card and I came across this site from S3
    Graphics site which provides linux drivers.
    (http://ranger.s3graphics.com/viaarena/380drv). After manually changing
    the XFree86Config file, I'm still not able to startx.

    Can anyone please try to help me on the following?
    1) Any previous experience of using XFree86 on Timesys 2.4.21 kernel on
    any mcahine?
    2) Any dependencies that I might be overlooking because of which I'm
    not able to startx?
    3) Any driver for this S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 card which I can use
    with XFree86-4.0.3 and successfully startx?

    The experts could throw some light on these issues.

    TIA,
    Shireesh

  2. Re: Timesys 2.4.21 Realtime Kernel and XFree86 4.3.0

    Do not set the XF86Config file by hand. Run xf86config and
    answer the questions -- and let X select the driver for the monitor
    you have selected according to its specs. You will never get the
    modelines right by setting X by hand. It will never work. Even
    their order of the modelines is important. Whereas it may be possible to
    do it, the degree of expertise you would need, and the danger involved
    is something akin to riding a bicycle across the grand canyon on
    a fishing line of 20 lbs test. With a hippopotamus sitting on the
    handlebars. Anyone can do it with a red bicycle, attempting it with
    a blue bicycle is ludicrous.

    There are plenty of S3 drivers to choose from in the card list.
    If you cannot get one to work try either a VGA generic or VGA
    unsupported option.

    Probably you need to go into character devices in make menuconfig
    and enable on board videa with agp and generic agp support.

    shireesh.annam@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Timesys 2.4.21 realtime kernel mounted using nfs on a Ampro
    > Littleboard 700 SBC (Single Board Computer)
    > (http://www.ampro.com/assets/applets/..._Datasheet.pdf).
    > This SBC has Integrated S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 controller with AGP
    > 4X. The graphics chip is VIA8606.
    >
    > I want to run X for some graphics application. I tried to install
    > XFree86 versions 4.2.x, 4.3.0 and 4.4.0, but all in vain. I was
    > however, successful in installing XFree86-4.0.3 with glibc-2.1 for this
    > realtime kernel. The problem is I am not able to start X. So I searched
    > the internet for this graphics card and I came across this site from S3
    > Graphics site which provides linux drivers.
    > (http://ranger.s3graphics.com/viaarena/380drv). After manually changing
    > the XFree86Config file, I'm still not able to startx.
    >
    > Can anyone please try to help me on the following?
    > 1) Any previous experience of using XFree86 on Timesys 2.4.21 kernel on
    > any mcahine?
    > 2) Any dependencies that I might be overlooking because of which I'm
    > not able to startx?
    > 3) Any driver for this S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 card which I can use
    > with XFree86-4.0.3 and successfully startx?
    >
    > The experts could throw some light on these issues.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Shireesh

+ Reply to Thread