How to create a bootable/live CD of installed linux OS - Questions

This is a discussion on How to create a bootable/live CD of installed linux OS - Questions ; hello, i am new bie to linux , i have installed two OS(linux) on different partitions , i customize one according to my needs ,now i want to make bootable/live CD of my customized OS with the help of base ...

  1. How to create a bootable/live CD of installed linux OS

    hello,
    i am new bie to linux , i have installed two OS(linux) on different
    partitions , i customize one according to my needs ,now i want to make
    bootable/live CD of my customized OS with the help of base OS. I
    searced many algo's but none of them is clear to me , bootloader of my
    new OS is GRUB ,i try with image of bootable floppy but all in vain,
    now i create initial ramdisk image of 1.3MB ,now i am not able to
    create image of floppy bcz of size(kernel image+ initd).
    i am trying this from last 1 month . so plz help me in this.
    thanx in advance
    Regards:
    Narendra

  2. Re: How to create a bootable/live CD of installed linux OS

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:55:46 -0800, nsingh2609@gmail.com wrote:

    > hello,
    > i am new bie to linux , i have installed two OS(linux) on different
    > partitions , i customize one according to my needs ,now i want to make
    > bootable/live CD of my customized OS with the help of base OS. I
    > searced many algo's but none of them is clear to me , bootloader of my
    > new OS is GRUB ,i try with image of bootable floppy but all in vain,
    > now i create initial ramdisk image of 1.3MB ,now i am not able to
    > create image of floppy bcz of size(kernel image+ initd).
    > i am trying this from last 1 month . so plz help me in this.
    > thanx in advance
    > Regards:
    > Narendra

    To make a bootable CD, you need to learn about "el torito." I think grub
    supports el torito as of version 0.95. Is your version older than that? If
    not, then your grub info page might cover this. Otherwise, Google will
    find you what you need if you can filter out all the hits about bullfights
    and mexican restaurants. And you will need to upgrade grub to at least
    version 0.95 (or use a different bootloader or write your own).

    Now that I think of it, one of the many sources for information on making
    a bootable Linux CD is the LFS hints at linuxfromscratch.org.

    --
    Thomas D. Shepard
    I am sorry, but you can't email me.

  3. Re: How to create a bootable/live CD of installed linux OS

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:13:44 -0800, Thomas D. Shepard wrote:

    > To make a bootable CD, you need to learn about "el torito."

    Oops! That would be "eltorito" (all one word).

    --
    Thomas D. Shepard
    I am sorry, but you can't email me.
    ImaSpammer@spam.sux is not a real email address. I figure if someone wants to
    harvest an email address to use for sending spam, they may as well use this one.

+ Reply to Thread