redhat ES 3.0 memory query - Questions

This is a discussion on redhat ES 3.0 memory query - Questions ; I have 4GB RAM running RHES3.0 Linux 2.4 kernel. I've been told that there is a 3GB/1GB memory split with 3GB being available for user processes and 1GB for kernel processes. Is this correct and is there any docn for ...

  1. redhat ES 3.0 memory query

    I have 4GB RAM running RHES3.0 Linux 2.4 kernel. I've been told that
    there is a 3GB/1GB memory split with 3GB being available for user
    processes and 1GB for kernel processes.
    Is this correct and is there any docn for it anywhere?

    thanks

  2. Re: redhat ES 3.0 memory query

    This CAN be true. Usually is. If you don't want it then you
    recompile your kernel to get rid of the split, and use CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM

    There are three options. off, 4 giges and 64 giges. If you have or
    desire to use over 1 gige RAM but less than 4, choose 4 giges. 64 giges
    requires CPU's that have a feature called PAE which is Pentium Pro or
    better.

    man bootparam should tell you more. "mem= " is a dangerous option. I
    don't know if it is meant to work below one gige with CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM
    set to off.

    EC<:-}

    Nick wrote:
    > I have 4GB RAM running RHES3.0 Linux 2.4 kernel. I've been told that
    > there is a 3GB/1GB memory split with 3GB being available for user
    > processes and 1GB for kernel processes.
    > Is this correct and is there any docn for it anywhere?
    >
    > thanks

  3. Re: redhat ES 3.0 memory query

    If you are setting by make config, what I believe you do is set
    HIGHMEM_CONFIG to 4G, say, and also HIGHMEM_IO to y.

    EC<:-}

    Nick wrote:
    > I have 4GB RAM running RHES3.0 Linux 2.4 kernel. I've been told that
    > there is a 3GB/1GB memory split with 3GB being available for user
    > processes and 1GB for kernel processes.
    > Is this correct and is there any docn for it anywhere?
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread