What's the best and easiest FTP server to use in Debian for a small LAN? - Questions

This is a discussion on What's the best and easiest FTP server to use in Debian for a small LAN? - Questions ; I was told that wu-ftpd is very old and has a lot of security holes. I used to use it a lot when I had a dedicated broadband connection. Now, I have to use dial-up connection for Internet access. Since ...

  1. What's the best and easiest FTP server to use in Debian for a small LAN?

    I was told that wu-ftpd is very old and has a lot of security holes. I
    used to use it a lot when I had a dedicated broadband connection. Now, I
    have to use dial-up connection for Internet access. Since it is not a
    24/7 connection, I am having problems with wu-ftpd connecting because it
    wants to do domain look ups. I do not want to be online when using
    FTP'ing. See http://tinyurl.com/5stfg for my old newsgroup thread about
    it.

    Is there a basic and easy to use FTP server to replace wu-ftpd for my
    Debian box (Kernel 2.6.8 and v3.1 from Sarge installer)? All I need is
    basic FTP file transfer between computers (PowerBook G4 with MacOS X
    10.2.8, PC notebooks and desktops running Windows 98 to XP) on my tiny
    LAN without it looking up domains. Also, resume capability as well for
    huge file transfers in case I need to abort and do it later (rarely).

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "I look at an ant and I see myself: a native South African, endowed by nature with a
    strength much greater than my size so I might cope with the weight of a racism that crushes
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

  2. Re: What's the best and easiest FTP server to use in Debian for asmall LAN?

    proFTPD server gftp client

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > I was told that wu-ftpd is very old and has a lot of security holes. I
    > used to use it a lot when I had a dedicated broadband connection. Now, I
    > have to use dial-up connection for Internet access. Since it is not a
    > 24/7 connection, I am having problems with wu-ftpd connecting because it
    > wants to do domain look ups. I do not want to be online when using
    > FTP'ing. See http://tinyurl.com/5stfg for my old newsgroup thread about
    > it.
    >
    > Is there a basic and easy to use FTP server to replace wu-ftpd for my
    > Debian box (Kernel 2.6.8 and v3.1 from Sarge installer)? All I need is
    > basic FTP file transfer between computers (PowerBook G4 with MacOS X
    > 10.2.8, PC notebooks and desktops running Windows 98 to XP) on my tiny
    > LAN without it looking up domains. Also, resume capability as well for
    > huge file transfers in case I need to abort and do it later (rarely).
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

+ Reply to Thread