Multiple LUNS - Questions

This is a discussion on Multiple LUNS - Questions ; I'm using Mandrake 10, an Adaptec 2940UW card, Microtek Scanmaker III SCSI scanner. cat /proc/scsi/scsi lists the scanner with 63 LUNS. I have tried to turn this feature off from within lilo by appending max_scsi_luns=1 but without success. The multiple ...

  1. Multiple LUNS

    I'm using Mandrake 10, an Adaptec 2940UW card, Microtek Scanmaker III SCSI
    scanner.

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi lists the scanner with 63 LUNS. I have tried to turn
    this feature off from within lilo by appending max_scsi_luns=1 but without
    success.

    The multiple LUNS are more of an annoyance than anything else. There is a
    problem with I want to use the Nikon LS8000 film scanner via firewire.
    The Nikon is the last entry on my cat /proc/scsi/scsi list. Vuescan only
    displays about 30 items and they are all the Scanmaker III.

    How does one turn off this feature? If it's a matter of recompiling the
    kernel, I could use some guidance.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Multiple LUNS

    Probably probing for multiple LUNS, which is desirable if you are
    running a CD tower, or scsi NAS, is turned off by default in the kernel.
    You could try recompiling the kernel if you know what options you want,
    go into "SCSI support" in "make menuconfig" and de x-ing "probe all luns
    on each SCSI device"

    I doubt very much that a scanner really has 63 LUN's. It sounds like
    a bug to me.

    Firewire support is ALSO an option in most kernels. I don't know if
    it is turned on in yours although you indicate that the film scannner is
    seen in the proc filesystem. IEEE 1394 support will be described in the
    text by the command "make menuconfig" when you are in /usr/src/linux
    directory. if you type "?" at or after the selection, you will see an
    explanation of the meaning of that kernel option in either "make config"
    or "make menuconfig".

    If you have not recompiled a kernel before then read the README in
    /usr/src/linux carefully. "make config" or make menuconfig two of
    configuration tools to run before running "make clean", "make" and
    make_install. Probably recompiling AND installing modules will also be
    necessary.

    EC<:-}

    pet wrote:
    > I'm using Mandrake 10, an Adaptec 2940UW card, Microtek Scanmaker III SCSI
    > scanner.
    >
    > cat /proc/scsi/scsi lists the scanner with 63 LUNS. I have tried to turn
    > this feature off from within lilo by appending max_scsi_luns=1 but without
    > success.
    >
    > The multiple LUNS are more of an annoyance than anything else. There is a
    > problem with I want to use the Nikon LS8000 film scanner via firewire.
    > The Nikon is the last entry on my cat /proc/scsi/scsi list. Vuescan only
    > displays about 30 items and they are all the Scanmaker III.
    >
    > How does one turn off this feature? If it's a matter of recompiling the
    > kernel, I could use some guidance.

  3. Re: Multiple LUNS

    Also if you have not compiled a kernel, there should be some advice on
    how to reconfigure lilo, and to use more than one kernel choice within
    /etc/lilo.conf. You have to rerun lilo from the command line after
    installing your new kernel in /

    "cd /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs" and "less LILO"

    Then /lilo.conf within less and you should see how the /etc/lilo.conf
    file is configured. Leave a choice of booting your old kernel, and your
    new one too, by saving them as different names on disk in "/" (root dir)
    i.e. (appears as "image = in lilo.conf), and make them the
    target of different "labels" in lilo.conf i.e. label =
    labelname is the name of your kernel choice on boot.

    EC<:-}

    pet wrote:
    > I'm using Mandrake 10, an Adaptec 2940UW card, Microtek Scanmaker III SCSI
    > scanner.
    >
    > cat /proc/scsi/scsi lists the scanner with 63 LUNS. I have tried to turn
    > this feature off from within lilo by appending max_scsi_luns=1 but without
    > success.
    >
    > The multiple LUNS are more of an annoyance than anything else. There is a
    > problem with I want to use the Nikon LS8000 film scanner via firewire.
    > The Nikon is the last entry on my cat /proc/scsi/scsi list. Vuescan only
    > displays about 30 items and they are all the Scanmaker III.
    >
    > How does one turn off this feature? If it's a matter of recompiling the
    > kernel, I could use some guidance.
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread