Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device - Questions

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device - Questions ; I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer. ( http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs ) I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook to boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device? Does ...

  1. Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer.
    (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs)
    I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook to
    boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device?
    Does it support booting from USB ?

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    wrote:

    > I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer.

    (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs)
    > I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook to
    > boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device?
    > Does it support booting from USB ?

    Call Dell tech support.

    The following will then be very familiar:
    http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html

    gtoomey

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    wrote in message news:41f64e75$0$14721$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer.
    > (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs)
    > I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook to
    > boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device?
    > Does it support booting from USB ?

    Good reason to avoid Dell in my opinion.

    Not at all obvious if the manual is even available online
    and the dell site is completely hopeless on that if it is.

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    > wrote in message
    > news:41f64e75$0$14721$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >> I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer.
    >> (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs)
    >> I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook
    >> to boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device?
    >> Does it support booting from USB ?

    > Good reason to avoid Dell in my opinion.
    >
    > Not at all obvious if the manual is even available online
    > and the dell site is completely hopeless on that if it is.

    Has to be the worst website of a major manufacturer that I've come across.
    And the Bangalore support team are ****ed as well.
    Having said that, their machines aren't too bad.

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    "Uncle Bully" wrote in message

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> wrote in message news:41f64e75$0$14721$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >>> I'm planning to purchase a Dell Inspiron 9200 notebook computer.
    >>> (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs)
    >>> I wonder if anyone out there knows if it is possible with this notebook to
    >>> boot an OS (mini Linux, Knopix etc) from a USB device?
    >>> Does it support booting from USB ?

    >> Good reason to avoid Dell in my opinion.
    >>
    >> Not at all obvious if the manual is even available online
    >> and the dell site is completely hopeless on that if it is.

    > Has to be the worst website of a major manufacturer that I've come across.

    Yeah, me too.

    > And the Bangalore support team are ****ed as well.
    > Having said that, their machines aren't too bad.

    Dunno, they run their hard drives in the laptops too hot for my taste,
    right on the limit of what the hard drive manufacturer allows.

  6. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    > "Uncle Bully" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> wrote in message
    >>> news:41f64e75$0$14721$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    >>>
    >>> Good reason to avoid Dell in my opinion.
    >>>
    >>> Not at all obvious if the manual is even available online
    >>> and the dell site is completely hopeless on that if it is.

    >> Has to be the worst website of a major manufacturer that I've come
    >> across.

    > Yeah, me too.
    >
    >> And the Bangalore support team are ****ed as well.
    >> Having said that, their machines aren't too bad.

    > Dunno, they run their hard drives in the laptops too hot for my taste,
    > right on the limit of what the hard drive manufacturer allows.

    If you visit the Dell site don't leave your ph.no or fax.no address or
    po.box cause they will hammer you with advertising any way they can, My
    po.box always has Dell crap in it and until I got abusive my private ph.no
    was being hammered by an auto fax mailer..

  7. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    i like my dell laptop.

    though Rod is right, h/d is mega hot - get sweaty left palm. Run a fan onto
    keyboard at my desk .

    Cheers
    JC

    "hedgehog" wrote in message
    news:41f6ee73$0$2674$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Uncle Bully" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    >>> Has to be the worst website of a major manufacturer that I've come
    >>> across.

    >> Yeah, me too.
    >>
    >>> And the Bangalore support team are ****ed as well.
    >>> Having said that, their machines aren't too bad.

    >> Dunno, they run their hard drives in the laptops too hot for my taste,
    >> right on the limit of what the hard drive manufacturer allows.

    > If you visit the Dell site don't leave your ph.no or fax.no address or
    > po.box cause they will hammer you with advertising any way they can, My
    > po.box always has Dell crap in it and until I got abusive my private ph.no
    > was being hammered by an auto fax mailer..

  8. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    oh yeah,

    My bios has an option to boot from USB - Dell 8600 - so I would be surprised
    if the 9200 doesn't.

    Don't buy a 9200 yet - the 9300 will be out in a few weeks to replace it.

    Do a google for 9300 - looks heaps nicer.

    "hedgehog" wrote in message
    news:41f6ee73$0$2674$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Uncle Bully" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    >>> Has to be the worst website of a major manufacturer that I've come
    >>> across.

    >> Yeah, me too.
    >>
    >>> And the Bangalore support team are ****ed as well.
    >>> Having said that, their machines aren't too bad.

    >> Dunno, they run their hard drives in the laptops too hot for my taste,
    >> right on the limit of what the hard drive manufacturer allows.

    > If you visit the Dell site don't leave your ph.no or fax.no address or
    > po.box cause they will hammer you with advertising any way they can, My
    > po.box always has Dell crap in it and until I got abusive my private ph.no
    > was being hammered by an auto fax mailer..

  9. Re: Dell Inspiron 9200 --> Boot from USB device

    Yes, it does have boot from USB option in its BIOS

+ Reply to Thread