Optical drive Problems - Questions

This is a discussion on Optical drive Problems - Questions ; I am new to Linux and just installed it on the secondary hard drive on my computer and I am running into problems with the two optical drives. The computer is equipped with a CD ROM/DVD ROM combo and a ...

  1. Optical drive Problems

    I am new to Linux and just installed it on the secondary hard drive on
    my computer and I am running into problems with the two optical drives.
    The computer is equipped with a CD ROM/DVD ROM combo and a CD RW/DVD
    +R combo drive and neither is working properly when I try to play an
    audio CD or DVD on them.
    When I use the ROM drive with an audio CD, CD Player opens and it
    recognizes the name of the CD and the play list. Also, I can hear that
    the disk is turning. However, the slide that shows progress of the song
    does not move and there is no sound from the speakers. I have tried my
    headphones connected directly to the jack on the drive and there is
    still no sound.
    Using the RW drive, CD Player opens and the album name and song list
    appears. The disk is turning and the progress bar moves across the
    screen showing the song is playing but there is no sound from the
    speakers. With this drive, when I connect the headphones to the drive
    jack, there is sound from the CD.
    System sounds play perfectly, the sound card check works when I detect
    the sound card and I can rip a song from a CD in the RW drive and play
    it just fine. Both drives work perfectly in Windows.
    Any suggestions would be welcomed.

  2. Re: Optical drive Problems

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:59:53 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:

    > I am new to Linux and just installed it on the secondary hard drive on
    > my computer and I am running into problems with the two optical drives.
    > The computer is equipped with a CD ROM/DVD ROM combo and a CD RW/DVD
    > +R combo drive and neither is working properly when I try to play an
    > audio CD or DVD on them.
    > When I use the ROM drive with an audio CD, CD Player opens and it
    > recognizes the name of the CD and the play list. Also, I can hear that
    > the disk is turning. However, the slide that shows progress of the song
    > does not move and there is no sound from the speakers. I have tried my
    > headphones connected directly to the jack on the drive and there is
    > still no sound.
    > Using the RW drive, CD Player opens and the album name and song list
    > appears. The disk is turning and the progress bar moves across the
    > screen showing the song is playing but there is no sound from the
    > speakers. With this drive, when I connect the headphones to the drive
    > jack, there is sound from the CD.
    > System sounds play perfectly, the sound card check works when I detect
    > the sound card and I can rip a song from a CD in the RW drive and play
    > it just fine. Both drives work perfectly in Windows. Any suggestions
    > would be welcomed.

    Many system manufactures no longer provide the audio cable (the small 3-4
    wire cable) from the CD device to the sound interface, Windows plays the
    music digitally and does not need this cable. Maybe this is your problem,
    many Linux CD player applications attempt to play audio CD's via this
    cable (analog). Try using xmms (it's installed by most Linux distro's)
    configured to play the audio CD's digitally.

    Start xmms and press the Ctrl+P key combo, select the CD Audio Player
    Input plugin and press (click-on) the Configure button. Select the Digital
    audio extraction, click on OK. Click on the Apply button followed by the
    OK button.

  3. Re: Optical drive Problems

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:59:53 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:
    >

    >>I am new to Linux and just installed it on the secondary hard drive on
    >>my computer and I am running into problems with the two optical drives.
    >> The computer is equipped with a CD ROM/DVD ROM combo and a CD RW/DVD
    >>+R combo drive and neither is working properly when I try to play an
    >>audio CD or DVD on them.
    >>When I use the ROM drive with an audio CD, CD Player opens and it
    >>recognizes the name of the CD and the play list. Also, I can hear that
    >>the disk is turning. However, the slide that shows progress of the song
    >>does not move and there is no sound from the speakers. I have tried my
    >>headphones connected directly to the jack on the drive and there is
    >>still no sound.
    >>Using the RW drive, CD Player opens and the album name and song list
    >>appears. The disk is turning and the progress bar moves across the
    >>screen showing the song is playing but there is no sound from the
    >>speakers. With this drive, when I connect the headphones to the drive
    >>jack, there is sound from the CD.
    >>System sounds play perfectly, the sound card check works when I detect
    >>the sound card and I can rip a song from a CD in the RW drive and play
    >>it just fine. Both drives work perfectly in Windows. Any suggestions
    >>would be welcomed.

    > Many system manufactures no longer provide the audio cable (the small 3-4
    > wire cable) from the CD device to the sound interface, Windows plays the
    > music digitally and does not need this cable. Maybe this is your problem,
    > many Linux CD player applications attempt to play audio CD's via this
    > cable (analog). Try using xmms (it's installed by most Linux distro's)
    > configured to play the audio CD's digitally.
    >
    > Start xmms and press the Ctrl+P key combo, select the CD Audio Player
    > Input plugin and press (click-on) the Configure button. Select the Digital
    > audio extraction, click on OK. Click on the Apply button followed by the
    > OK button.

    I installed xmms and set it for digital audio extraction and then I
    clicked on the "Check Drive" button and got the following message:

    "Device /dev/cdrom OK
    Disc has 10 tracks
    Total length 43:36
    Digital audio extraction test: OK

    Failed to check directory /mnt/cdrom
    Error: No such file or directory"

    How do I remedy this?

    Also, I checked inside the computer and neither drive has an audio cable
    from the device to the sound card. My computer is a Dell 8300 desktop
    and I am running Fedora Core 3 that I downloaded from the Fedora site.
    Could I now install a cable from the ROM drive to the card without
    affecting anything else?

+ Reply to Thread