Problem creating upgrade cd's - Questions

This is a discussion on Problem creating upgrade cd's - Questions ; I am trying to upgrade my rh 8 box to fc 1. I have d/l the iso images, but when I write them to the cd and run the install program, the install program doesn't recognise the cd as fc ...

  1. Problem creating upgrade cd's

    I am trying to upgrade my rh 8 box to fc 1. I have d/l the iso images,
    but when I write them to the cd and run the install program, the install
    program doesn't recognise the cd as fc 1.

    When I created the cd, I did the following (from another fc 1 box)

    1. Issued the following command:
    mount -o loop -t iso9660 yarrow-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/iso
    2. From nautilus, I then copied the /mnt/iso directory to burn:///
    directory and then burnt the cd.

    I ran the install program from a floppy, since I can't get this pc to boot
    from the cd. I am upgrading to fc 1, since this system really doesn't
    have enough omph to run anything more.

  2. Re: Problem creating upgrade cd's

    Terry A. Haimann wrote:

    > I am trying to upgrade my rh 8 box to fc 1. I have d/l the iso
    > images, but when I write them to the cd and run the install program,
    > the install program doesn't recognise the cd as fc 1.
    >
    > When I created the cd, I did the following (from another fc 1 box)
    >
    > 1. Issued the following command:
    > mount -o loop -t iso9660 yarrow-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/iso
    > 2. From nautilus, I then copied the /mnt/iso directory to burn:///
    > directory and then burnt the cd.

    This is why the CD you burned is not bootable. What you should have done
    and should do in the future is something like;

    cdrecord dev=0,3,0 speed=8 blank=fast -pad -v -eject

    Adjust the dev=XXXX and speed=X to match your hardware configuration and
    remove blank=fast if not using a CD-RW as your media. See 'man cdrecord'
    without the quotes for the details and additional information.

    > I ran the install program from a floppy, since I can't get this pc to
    > boot
    > from the cd. I am upgrading to fc 1, since this system really doesn't
    > have enough omph to run anything more.

    This does not make sense, if your system is powerful enough for Fedora
    Core 1 then it's powerful enough for Fedora Core 2 or 3 as all three
    have the same hardware requirements. Fedora Core 2 or 3 should actually
    run a bit faster as the 2.6 kernels are faster then the 2.4 kernels.