Install on small HDD - Questions

This is a discussion on Install on small HDD - Questions ; I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a user-friendly system?) and now have a Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive. I was wondering if I could install this OS ...

  1. Install on small HDD

    I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    user-friendly system?) and now have a
    Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.

    I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg CDROM,
    there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says you
    need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means

    I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as some
    type of network screen.

    Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    installation of 10.0.

    BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

  2. Re: Install on small HDD

    first of all,
    upgrade your knoppix version to current one - 3.7 and you will enjoy it more

    --
    http://www.big-forum.com
    --

    "Maria Ripanykhazova" wrote in message
    >I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg
    > CDROM,
    > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says
    > you
    > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means
    >
    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as
    > some
    > type of network screen.
    >
    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.
    >
    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network
    > through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

  3. Re: Install on small HDD

    But can I not transfer the files from the CD ROM onto this particular hard
    drive?

    "big-forum.com" wrote in message
    > first of all,
    > upgrade your knoppix version to current one - 3.7 and you will enjoy it

    more

    > --
    > http://www.big-forum.com
    > --
    >
    > "Maria Ripanykhazova" wrote in message
    > >I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    > >
    > > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard

    drive
    > > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if

    it
    > > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg
    > > CDROM,
    > > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says
    > > you
    > > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means
    > >
    > > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems

    > > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get

    > > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later

    version
    > > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as
    > > some
    > > type of network screen.
    > >
    > > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux

    distributions
    > > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > > installation of 10.0.
    > >
    > > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network
    > > through
    > > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

  4. Re: Install on small HDD

    Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

    I would go with Gentoo live. It runs off CD.

  5. Re: Install on small HDD

    yes, u can:
    http://big-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=44#44

    --
    http://www.big-forum.com
    --

    > But can I not transfer the files from the CD ROM onto this particular hard
    > drive?
    >
    > "big-forum.com" wrote in message
    >> first of all,
    >> upgrade your knoppix version to current one - 3.7 and you will enjoy it

    > more
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.big-forum.com
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Maria Ripanykhazova" wrote in message
    >> >I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    >> > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    >> > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >> >
    >> > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard

    > drive
    >> > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if

    > it
    >> > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    >> > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    >> > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg
    >> > CDROM,
    >> > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says
    >> > you
    >> > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means
    >> >
    >> > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems

    >> > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems
    >> > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get

    >> > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later

    > version
    >> > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as
    >> > some
    >> > type of network screen.
    >> >
    >> > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux

    > distributions
    >> > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    >> > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    >> > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    >> > installation of 10.0.
    >> >
    >> > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I
    >> > am
    >> > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network
    >> > through
    >> > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

  6. Re: Install on small HDD

    Is there a way of getting THAT release onto my hard drive easily and does it
    have as easy and interface as the Knoppix one?

    "James Garvin" wrote
    > I would go with Gentoo live. It runs off CD.

  7. So is there an easier way of retaining such a great GUI on a small HDD

    > http://big-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=44#44

    where it says "so installation to a hard drive should probably
    only be attempted by more knowledgeable Linux users"

    Do I need a different version or something out of a box?

  8. Re: Install on small HDD

    Why don't you install a distro that is intended to be put on your
    hard-drive?
    Knoppix is a great tool, but it's specifically configured to run off a CD
    I use redhat/fedora and during the install it shows you a list of different
    packages and lets you pick what you want to install and tells you how much
    space it takes. I'm sure other distros do similar.
    check out

    http://distrowatch.com/

    some distro's are specifically configured to run on small hard-drives

    Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg
    > CDROM, there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which
    > says you need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means
    >
    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as
    > some type of network screen.
    >
    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.
    >
    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network
    > through my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

  9. Re: Install on small HDD

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:29:28 -0500, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.

    It won't be easy getting a fully modern distro onto that machine. If you
    can live without wireless, or are happy to do a lot of tweaking, try
    Vector Linux 3.2 or 4.3 . The former will happily
    live and run inside 500 Mb, and I ran it for some time on a machine with a
    similar spec. VL runs on modest hardware by design, and from early day
    has been pretty effective at detecting hardware (including PCMCIA cards).

    Good luck with your search anyway, and let us know how you get on.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  10. Re: Install on small HDD

    Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    <<< NOTE:
    PLEASE DO NOT post to more than 5 newsgroups
    and set a followup for a group that most all
    news-servers offer. groups re-mastered

    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with?

    .... if you like knoppix, try mepis - you can simply
    install it to the hard drive with a menu option
    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured
    by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

  11. Re: Install on small HDD

    Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > Is there a way of getting THAT release onto my hard drive easily and does it
    > have as easy and interface as the Knoppix one?
    >

    > "James Garvin" wrote
    >
    >>I would go with Gentoo live. It runs off CD.

    I would just buy the CD ;-) It is 600ish mb and quite big, but fits on
    a CD. If you can dl it and burn it elsewhere or buy it...

    The interface is clean and easy to use...it is even pretty good with
    wireless stuff.

  12. Re: Install on small HDD

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:29:28 -0500, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:

    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg CDROM,
    > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says you
    > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means
    >
    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as some
    > type of network screen.
    >
    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.
    >
    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

    Suggest you look at Vector linux or one of the 'small' distros like 'damn
    small'.

  13. Re: Install on small HDD

    On 01/13/05 22:59, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg CDROM,
    > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says you
    > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means

    No, not that easy for a newbie; Knoppix, Mepis and, or Ubunto LiveCD
    contain approximately 5 gigabytes of software packages compressed to fit
    all that on to 640/700 megabyte CD's. IMHO, upgrading your hard drive is
    must, if you really want to enjoy a Linux installation on an HDD; it
    will run much faster from a hard drive.

    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as some
    > type of network screen.

    By default, Knoppix's auto hardware detection script might be looking
    for a DHCP server to configure your WiFi card; you may enter IP,
    NETMASK, BROADCAST and DNS entries manually too.

    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.

    No again, because of a limited space available on your hard drive; you
    may install any distro excluding X and most of GUI apps, that mean you
    will have to live with CLI only.

    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

    Yes, you can connect it to Internet and, or WiFi net.

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

  14. Re: Install on small HDD

    On 01/13/05 22:59, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg CDROM,
    > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says you
    > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means

    No, not that easy for a newbie; Knoppix, Mepis and, or Ubunto LiveCD
    contain approximately 5 gigabytes of software packages compressed to fit
    all that on to 640/700 megabyte CD's. IMHO, upgrading your hard drive is
    must, if you really want to enjoy a Linux installation on an HDD; it
    will run much faster from a hard drive.

    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as some
    > type of network screen.

    By default, Knoppix's auto hardware detection script might be looking
    for a DHCP server to configure your WiFi card; you may enter IP,
    NETMASK, BROADCAST and DNS entries manually too.

    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.

    No again, because of a limited space available on your hard drive; you
    may install any distro excluding X and most of GUI apps, that mean you
    will have to live with CLI only.

    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

    Yes, you can connect it to Internet and, or WiFi net.

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Anu's Linux@HOME Distros: Knoppix, Fedora, FreeBSD
    More: http://anu.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  15. Re: Install on small HDD

    On 01/13/05 22:59, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.
    >
    > I was wondering if I could install this OS from the CD onto the hard drive
    > somehow OR if this was the best version of Linux to do this with OR if it
    > was the best version of Knoppix to do it with? (I tried asking on the
    > Knoppix board but there wasn't anyone there who knew or could speak
    > English?) I am a bit worried that whereas it does work from a 700 meg CDROM,
    > there is an install process for getting it onto a hard drive which says you
    > need to have 3.` gig of space to do this, whatever that means

    No, not that easy for a newbie; Knoppix, Mepis and, or Ubunto LiveCD
    contain approximately 5 gigabytes of software packages compressed to fit
    all that on to 640/700 megabyte CD's. IMHO, upgrading your hard drive is
    must, if you really want to enjoy a Linux installation on an HDD; it
    will run much faster from a hard drive.

    > I tried one later version which says it is network-enabled as 3.1 seems to
    > see and install my WiFi card (a Buffalo WILL-PCM-L11GP which it seems to
    > recognise as a generic Orinoco card which I cant figure out how to get to
    > connect to my network??) but I have never managed to get the later version
    > to get past some screen with a tiger's face on it, describing itself as some
    > type of network screen.

    By default, Knoppix's auto hardware detection script might be looking
    for a DHCP server to configure your WiFi card; you may enter IP,
    NETMASK, BROADCAST and DNS entries manually too.

    > Can Knoppix be put on a hard drive or are there better Linux distributions
    > for this purpose which are as user friendly? The only other one I have
    > which I have never dared to install is the Mandrake 10.1 from Personal
    > Computer World which says it is only an upgrade to an already existing
    > installation of 10.0.

    No again, because of a limited space available on your hard drive; you
    may install any distro excluding X and most of GUI apps, that mean you
    will have to live with CLI only.

    > BTW if I am a newbie to all this, is it VERY UNLIKELY INDEED that I am
    > going to be able to network this computer into either my XP network through
    > my WiFi installation or connect to the Internet with it?

    Yes, you can connect it to Internet and, or WiFi net.

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Anu's Linux@HOME Distros: Knoppix, Fedora, FreeBSD
    More: http://anu.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  16. Re: Install on small HDD

    I'm sorry for multiple posts, my NNTP proxy and, or MTA was misbehaved
    due to a bad *Reply-To:* pointer set by the OP; which I did not notice
    at the very first go.

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Anu's Linux@HOME Distros: Knoppix, Fedora, FreeBSD
    More: http://anu.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  17. Re: Install on small HDD

    Doesn't seem too difficult but I cant understand why if the OS can run from
    a 700 meg CD, it cant run from copying those files onto a hard drive, If
    they are compressed on the CD, why can't they be compressed on the HDD? I
    presume it is using some kind of RAM drive in memory?

    At any rate if I can't, I can't so I tried the 3.7 and it runs curiously:
    Firstly it doesn't run full screen as the earlier ones did, it runs in what
    looks like a 640x480 box in the middle of the screen: Might be a slightly
    sharper box, meaning I am not actually losing or gaining anything

    Secondly whereas the 3.2 saw the (Mac OS 8.0) drive and saw the files in it,
    the 3.7 only sees 8 hard drives and I cant open any of them: It shows all
    as being separate unmounted partitions (3.2 saw the Mac files as being on
    hard drive Partition No:7. Can't imagine why???).

    Lastly whereas both revisions saw my Netgear 401 PC card as WiFi card, (in
    fact as an Orinoco card) and know how to light up the light on it, neither
    will let me onto my wireless network and surf the Internet with it. I tried
    entering 192.168.12.1 and it seemed completely baffled, giving me what I
    thought was an annoying Windows error message that it couldn't find the
    location, - meaning I am not connected to the Internet

    Lastly I tried both the original kernel and the 2.6 beta kernel (whatever
    that means in practical terms) and couldn't see the difference. But once I
    had found the RUN command, I don't see anything too dreadfully difficult
    while I am playing around with the instructions set out at
    http://big-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=44#44

    But as I commented, it does seem a bit pointless if I cant actually copy all
    the 700 megabytes of files on the CD ROM onto the hard drive or find a
    distro which will let me use my WiFi network?

    I remain baffled but at least have always been impressed by a GUI which can
    do what Windows manages to do by identifying and configuring everything
    which it does. (This perplexed IBM out of business with OS/2 which couldn't
    identify, configure or install anything)

  18. Re: Install on small HDD

    Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > Doesn't seem too difficult but I cant understand why if the OS can run from
    > a 700 meg CD, it cant run from copying those files onto a hard drive, If
    > they are compressed on the CD, why can't they be compressed on the HDD? I
    > presume it is using some kind of RAM drive in memory?

    Boot Knoppix from CD with:

    knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1

    This copies the CD-image to the hard disk partition hda1 and runs from
    there. As a bonus, it frees your CD. Afterwards, when you have the image
    on the hard disk you can start Knoppix with:

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1

    For more information and variations for different environments, try
    searching for 'Knoppix cheat codes'.

    --
    Timo Pirinen
    pirisisi@dlc.fi

  19. Re: Install on small HDD

    On 01/13/2005 10:59 PM, Maria Ripanykhazova wrote:
    > I have used knoppix 3.1 with varying degrees of success (finding it a
    > user-friendly system?) and now have a
    > Compaq Armada M700 Pentium 111 with only a 700 Meg hard drive.

    [snip]

    Try *Ubuntu*, both a Live CD and Install CD images are available from:
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

    You may request free Ubuntu CD's online at: http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

    To install Ubuntu, you should have at least 32 MB of RAM, at least 1.8
    GB space on your hard disk for a standard Ubuntu desktop system, or at
    least 350 MB for a minimal custom installation.

    I have not tested these fully as yet, but their Live CD is based on
    Morphix, which again is based on Knoppix otherwise.

    Hope that helps.
    Good luck!

    --
    Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Anu's Linux@HOME Distros: Knoppix, Fedora, FreeBSD
    More: http://anu.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

+ Reply to Thread