RedHat releasing hybred 24/26 kernels - Questions

This is a discussion on RedHat releasing hybred 24/26 kernels - Questions ; I hope this question is appropriate for this group, forgive me if it is not. Per RedHat, link http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/kernel26/ , their Enterprise product line is a hybrid kernel, with the strength of a "stable" 2.4 kernel (2.4.21) yet the advances ...

  1. RedHat releasing hybred 24/26 kernels

    I hope this question is appropriate for this group, forgive me if it is not.

    Per RedHat, link http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/kernel26/, their
    Enterprise product line is a hybrid kernel, with the strength of a
    "stable" 2.4 kernel (2.4.21) yet the advances released in the 2.6 kernel.

    Does this sound kosher? Does any have issues or concerns with this
    approach? Can any one provide information (links) to either support
    this approach, or recommend against creating hybrid kernels?

    Thanks in advance.
    Joseph

  2. Re: RedHat releasing hybred 24/26 kernels

    [ Followup-To aol ]

    In alt.os.linux Joseph Dionne :
    > I hope this question is appropriate for this group, forgive me if it is not.

    > Per RedHat, link http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/kernel26/, their
    > Enterprise product line is a hybrid kernel, with the strength of a
    > "stable" 2.4 kernel (2.4.21) yet the advances released in the 2.6 kernel.

    > Does this sound kosher? Does any have issues or concerns with this

    What shouldn't be "kosher" about it, they back ported some
    features of 2.6 to 2.4, you should download the src.rpm
    (updates.redhat.com) and take a look if you are curious.

    > approach? Can any one provide information (links) to either support
    > this approach, or recommend against creating hybrid kernels?

    Works quite well, even under extreme load. Why should there be
    any information supporting or not this approach. "Hybrid" is IMHO
    just marketing babel.

    #bofh excuse 144: Too few computrons available.

+ Reply to Thread