Run linux on old computer? - Questions

This is a discussion on Run linux on old computer? - Questions ; Hi! I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM. It is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it possible to run a small version of Linux on this ...

  1. Run linux on old computer?

    Hi!
    I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM. It
    is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it possible
    to run a small version of Linux on this box, if so which one would you
    recommend? I have no further information on hardware specs.

  2. Re: Run linux on old computer?

    Bengt Boysen pravi:
    > Hi!
    > I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM. It
    > is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it possible
    > to run a small version of Linux on this box, if so which one would you
    > recommend? I have no further information on hardware specs.

    Probably the machine would run ANY linux without graphic environment.
    (shell only). You should try it.

  3. Re: Run linux on old computer?

    In article <1PwDd.13552$d5.114438@newsb.telia.net>, Bengt Boysen wrote:

    >I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM.

    Damn, that's REALLY tiny. ALL main distributions (Debian, Mandrake,
    Slackware, SuSE, Fedora, etc) wouldn't have enough memory to start,
    and not enough disk space for the kernel, libraries, and a few utilities.

    >It is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it
    >possible to run a small version of Linux on this box, if so which one
    >would you recommend? I have no further information on hardware specs.

    Is it a 386 or better? That's an absolute requirement. You should see
    that much in the boot messages. I pretty much doubt that it can, but
    you can have a look at

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    or one of the sunsite mirrors - posting from .se... try

    * Finland
    + Espoo ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/mirrors/metalab/
    * Germany
    + Dresden ftp.tu-dresden.de/Linux/sunsite/
    + Göttingen ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsite/
    + Karlsruhe ftp://ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/sunsite/
    + Mannheim ftp.ba-mannheim.de/pub/linux/mirror.sunsite/
    + Rostock ftp.uni-rostock.de/Linux/sunsite/
    + Stuttgart
    ftp.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/unix/systems/linux/MIRROR.sunsite/
    + Tübingen
    ftp://ftp.uni-tuebingen.de/pub/linux...metalab.unc.ed
    u/pub/Linux/
    * Norway
    + Trondheim ftp.nvg.unit.no/pub/linux/sunsite/
    * Poland
    + Warsaw sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/sunsite.unc.edu/

    Those are anonymous FTP servers - log in as 'anonymous' with your e-mail
    address as password, and change to the indicated directory. Then change
    to ./distributions/ and grab the 'index.html' page. That directory has
    about 100 different distributions you can download - some of them _might_
    be small enough. If so, you certainly won't be able to run X or any of the
    modern GUI applications. You really want something bigger and probably
    faster.

    Old guy

  4. Re: Run linux on old computer?

    you can run some distros off the cdrom. 8 megs is tiny for
    X windows, but twm might make it. 16 or 32 is more like it.

    A distro inside ten megs is possible. I think yggdrasil
    had something like that. Fall 95. Would run off the CDROM.

    EC<:-}

    Bengt Boysen wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM. It
    > is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it possible
    > to run a small version of Linux on this box, if so which one would you
    > recommend? I have no further information on hardware specs.

  5. Re: Run linux on old computer?

    Try the live cd KNOPPIX. It may answer most of your questions.

    Ciao, Ack;

    Bengt Boysen wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I have found an old computer, which has a 20 Mb harddrive and 8Mb of RAM. It
    > is currently using Wndows 3.11 for workgroups and DOS 6.22. Is it possible
    > to run a small version of Linux on this box, if so which one would you
    > recommend? I have no further information on hardware specs.

+ Reply to Thread