Sound Problem - Questions

This is a discussion on Sound Problem - Questions ; I have just installed Fedora Core on my machine to learn learn about Linux and compare it to Windows so I am a complete newbie. The installation went okay but I'm having a problem playing CD's - there is no ...

  1. Sound Problem

    I have just installed Fedora Core on my machine to learn learn about
    Linux and compare it to Windows so I am a complete newbie. The
    installation went okay but I'm having a problem playing CD's - there is
    no sound. When I insert the CD, the Gnome CD player application opens
    but there is no sound. I checked the system setup and the sound card
    has been detected and the test sound plays perfectly.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Sound Problem

    Paul Dunn wrote:

    > I have just installed Fedora Core on my machine to learn learn about
    > Linux and compare it to Windows so I am a complete newbie. The
    > installation went okay but I'm having a problem playing CD's - there is
    > no sound. When I insert the CD, the Gnome CD player application opens
    > but there is no sound. I checked the system setup and the sound card
    > has been detected and the test sound plays perfectly.
    > Suggestions?
    > Thanks.

    Try opening a mixer and see if the sound card is muted if so take out the
    check mark HTH
    --
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good
    with ketchup."

  3. Re: Sound Problem

    The Dread wrote:
    > Paul Dunn wrote:
    >

    >>I have just installed Fedora Core on my machine to learn learn about
    >>Linux and compare it to Windows so I am a complete newbie. The
    >>installation went okay but I'm having a problem playing CD's - there is
    >>no sound. When I insert the CD, the Gnome CD player application opens
    >>but there is no sound. I checked the system setup and the sound card
    >>has been detected and the test sound plays perfectly.
    >>Suggestions?
    >>Thanks.

    > Try opening a mixer and see if the sound card is muted if so take out the
    > check mark HTH

    I cannot find anywhere that the sound card is checked muted. The system
    sounds play okay. I just noticed that when the system boots, I get a
    message that file dhcppc2 could not be detected and so GNOME will not
    wirk correctly so I should add dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts. Could this be
    related?

  4. Re: Sound Problem

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:33:29 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:

    > I cannot find anywhere that the sound card is checked muted. The system
    > sounds play okay. I just noticed that when the system boots, I get a
    > message that file dhcppc2 could not be detected and so GNOME will not
    > wirk correctly so I should add dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts. Could this be
    > related?

    Many system manufacturers because Windows plays music CD digitally no
    longer includes the sound cable. Use something like xmms and play them
    digitally also.

    Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    followed by clicking on the OK button.

    To answer your question about the dhcpp2 message, No it is not related but
    this can be fixed by (as root) opening the file /etc/sysconfig/network
    file and give your system a hostname, sample below;

    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=MyComputerNameHere
    NOZEROCONF=yes

  5. Re: Sound Problem

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:33:29 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:
    >

    >>I cannot find anywhere that the sound card is checked muted. The system
    >>sounds play okay. I just noticed that when the system boots, I get a
    >>message that file dhcppc2 could not be detected and so GNOME will not
    >>wirk correctly so I should add dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts. Could this be
    >>related?

    > Many system manufacturers because Windows plays music CD digitally no
    > longer includes the sound cable. Use something like xmms and play them
    > digitally also.
    >
    > Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    > and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    > audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    > followed by clicking on the OK button.
    >
    > To answer your question about the dhcpp2 message, No it is not related but
    > this can be fixed by (as root) opening the file /etc/sysconfig/network
    > file and give your system a hostname, sample below;
    >
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > HOSTNAME=MyComputerNameHere
    > NOZEROCONF=yes

    Thanks for the info - I tried your suggestion re xmms and still no
    audio. Anything else I can try?

  6. Re: Sound Problem

    I had this same trouble and I found a message on a Newsgroup that gave this
    information. I tried it and now I have no audio problems with XMMS:

    > Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    > and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    > audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    > followed by clicking on the OK button.

    It works great for me. I had been fighting this problem for quite a while,
    but no more

    "Paul Dunn" wrote in message
    > Lenard wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:33:29 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:
    >>

    >>>I cannot find anywhere that the sound card is checked muted. The system
    >>>sounds play okay. I just noticed that when the system boots, I get a
    >>>message that file dhcppc2 could not be detected and so GNOME will not
    >>>wirk correctly so I should add dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts. Could this be
    >>>related?

    >> Many system manufacturers because Windows plays music CD digitally no
    >> longer includes the sound cable. Use something like xmms and play them
    >> digitally also.
    >>
    >> Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    >> and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    >> audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    >> followed by clicking on the OK button.
    >>
    >> To answer your question about the dhcpp2 message, No it is not related
    >> but
    >> this can be fixed by (as root) opening the file /etc/sysconfig/network
    >> file and give your system a hostname, sample below;
    >>
    >> NETWORKING=yes
    >> HOSTNAME=MyComputerNameHere
    >> NOZEROCONF=yes
    >>

    > Thanks for the info - I tried your suggestion re xmms and still no audio.
    > Anything else I can try?

  7. Re: Sound Problem

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:52:23 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:

    > Thanks for the info - I tried your suggestion re xmms and still no audio.
    > Anything else I can try?

    Some have found the by editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local and adding something
    like;

    # Restore Alsa sound volume levels
    /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1;

    And creating the /etc/aumixrc file (sample below) they have no more
    problem.

    Sample /etc/aumixrc file;

    vol:75:75:P
    pcm:75:75:P
    speaker:75:75:P
    line:75:75:P
    mic:75:75:R
    cd:75:75:P
    igain:75:75:P
    line1:75:75:P
    phin:75:75:P
    video:75:75:P

  8. Re: Sound Problem

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:37:15 +0000, oldtimer wrote:

    > I had this same trouble and I found a message on a Newsgroup that gave
    > this information. I tried it and now I have no audio problems with XMMS:
    >

    >> Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    >> and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    >> audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    >> followed by clicking on the OK button.
    >>

    > It works great for me. I had been fighting this problem for quite a while,
    > but no more

    My computer has the CD-to-sound-card cable and xmms (aka Audio Player) is
    in analog rather than digital. At first I didn't hear sound but playing
    with the Volume Control brought it in. I don't recall if it was the main
    "Volume" or the "CD" volume but it did the job. With Sound Juicer I put
    the CD on my hard drive where it works well too.

    Strangely my volume control has 2 tabs:
    1) SigmaTel STAC9721/23 [Audio Mixer (OSS)]
    2) Sound Blaster Live! [Alsa Mixer]

    I have a Sound Blaster Live but it's the SigmaTel tab that seems to work
    with the card. Not a big deal but it did make me a little curious.

    Anyway, my sound problem was solved with the "wrong tab" of the Volume
    Control. Maybe it'll work for Paul Dunn too.

    Doug

  9. Re: Sound Problem

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:52:23 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks for the info - I tried your suggestion re xmms and still no audio.
    >>Anything else I can try?

    > Some have found the by editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local and adding something
    > like;
    >
    > # Restore Alsa sound volume levels
    > /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1;
    >
    > And creating the /etc/aumixrc file (sample below) they have no more
    > problem.
    >
    > Sample /etc/aumixrc file;
    >
    > vol:75:75:P
    > pcm:75:75:P
    > speaker:75:75:P
    > line:75:75:P
    > mic:75:75:R
    > cd:75:75:P
    > igain:75:75:P
    > line1:75:75:P
    > phin:75:75:P
    > video:75:75:P

    I tried everything you have suggested and still I get no sound when I
    try to play a music CD. I tried a DVD in the same DVD-ROM drive and got
    no response to that either. When I insert a CD, the Gnome CD Player
    opens but it does not respond and the CD does not play. If I try Grip,
    the CD spins but there is no sound. I downloaded RealPlayer 10 and
    ripped a track off one of my CD's and tried playing it from my hard
    drive on RealPlayer and it plays perfectly. Everything works with the
    same hardware under Windows on my other drive. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for your help.

  10. Re: Sound Problem

    Paul Dunn wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:33:29 +0000, Paul Dunn wrote:
    >>

    >>> I cannot find anywhere that the sound card is checked muted. The system
    >>> sounds play okay. I just noticed that when the system boots, I get a
    >>> message that file dhcppc2 could not be detected and so GNOME will not
    >>> wirk correctly so I should add dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts. Could this be
    >>> related?

    >> Many system manufacturers because Windows plays music CD digitally no
    >> longer includes the sound cable. Use something like xmms and play them
    >> digitally also.
    >>
    >> Start xmms, press Ctrl+P, select the Audio Input Plugin: CD Audio Player
    >> and click on the Configure button. Click (choose) the Play mode: Digital
    >> audio extraction and click on the OK button, click on the Apply button
    >> followed by clicking on the OK button.
    >>
    >> To answer your question about the dhcpp2 message, No it is not related
    >> but
    >> this can be fixed by (as root) opening the file /etc/sysconfig/network
    >> file and give your system a hostname, sample below;
    >>
    >> NETWORKING=yes
    >> HOSTNAME=MyComputerNameHere
    >> NOZEROCONF=yes
    >>

    > Thanks for the info - I tried your suggestion re xmms and still no
    > audio. Anything else I can try?

    Worked for me too but I'm using Fedora Core 3 so I had to change the
    directory entry from /mnt/cdrom to /media/cdrom

+ Reply to Thread