OSS Image Editing? - Questions

This is a discussion on OSS Image Editing? - Questions ; Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g. digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff, etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were cross-platform. Thanks....

  1. OSS Image Editing?

    Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    cross-platform.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    A Nengineer wrote:

    > Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    > digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    > etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    > cross-platform.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Gimp.
    You can get it preinstalled in LiveCDs like Knoppix, Mepis etc.
    For windopes you can download the OpenCD which has installable
    version for windopes.
    http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
    That openCD comes with Open Office as well.
    Just mentioning it because Open Office can handle
    very large images such as 1600x1200 as if they were small
    photos - this can turn out to be very difficult in windopes M$ Word
    for example if you got 30 odd photos for a photo album.

  3. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    A Nengineer said the following, on 01/04/05 12:52:
    > Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    > digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    > etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    > cross-platform.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Have a look at the GIMP:

    It can do image editing, photo retouching, image composition, etc. (Its
    functionality is somewhat similar to Photoshop.)

    It's free (as in freedom and beer), and is available for Linux/Unix,
    Windows, and Mac OS-X.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    rgibbs@alumni.princeton.edu

  4. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    7 wrote:
    > A Nengineer wrote:
    >

    >>Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    >>digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    >>etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    >>cross-platform.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Gimp.
    > You can get it preinstalled in LiveCDs like Knoppix, Mepis etc.
    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    > For windopes you can download the OpenCD which has installable
    > version for windopes.
    > http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/
    > That openCD comes with Open Office as well.
    > Just mentioning it because Open Office can handle
    > very large images such as 1600x1200 as if they were small
    > photos - this can turn out to be very difficult in windopes M$ Word
    > for example if you got 30 odd photos for a photo album.

    No, I didn't mean graphics creation and editing, I mean e.g. photo
    editing, simply cropping, rotating, resizing, changing color depth, etc.

    The GIMP is far too complex for what I have in mind.

  5. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    Den Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:47:20 +0000. skrev A Nengineer:
    > No, I didn't mean graphics creation and editing, I mean e.g. photo
    > editing, simply cropping, rotating, resizing, changing color depth, etc.
    > The GIMP is far too complex for what I have in mind.

    You can do this with gThumb (http://gthumb.sourceforge.net) for Gnome. It
    is fairly straightforward.

  6. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    A Nengineer wrote:

    > Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    > digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    > etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    > cross-platform.
    >
    > Thanks.

    A nice co-worker suggested this to me for quick tasks.
    http://www.imagemagick.org/

    There is a Windows version too and it works the same, at least the Cygwin
    version does.

  7. Re: OSS Image Editing?

    gimp?

    DM McGowan II wrote:
    > A Nengineer wrote:
    >

    >>Are there any open-source software solutions for image editing (e.g.
    >>digital photos, scans, etc., in typical formats such as .jpg, tiff,
    >>etc.) that anyone would recommend? It would be great if it were
    >>cross-platform.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > A nice co-worker suggested this to me for quick tasks.
    > http://www.imagemagick.org/
    >
    > There is a Windows version too and it works the same, at least the Cygwin
    > version does.

+ Reply to Thread