Monitor Squeal - Questions

This is a discussion on Monitor Squeal - Questions ; When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768 How can I get it to ...

  1. Monitor Squeal

    When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600

    The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768

    How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?
    --
    Thanks

    Murph

  2. Re: Monitor Squeal

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:47:52 +0000, Murphy wrote:

    > When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    > start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >
    > The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >
    > How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    Have you set your Vsync and Hsync ranges correctly? You might be trying to
    use a refresh rate outside the supported range. Alternatively, you may
    just have hit on a particularly noisy resolution/refresh rate combination.
    For example, my monitor gives funny distortion above 75Hz at 1280x1024,
    but has no problem with higher resolutions and rates. Try setting a
    different refresh rate (say, 70 or 75Hz).

    Cheers,
    Minderbinder.

  3. Re: Monitor Squeal

    Minderbinder wrote:

    > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:47:52 +0000, Murphy wrote:
    >
    >> When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    >> start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >>
    >> The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >>
    >> How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    > Have you set your Vsync and Hsync ranges correctly? You might be trying to
    > use a refresh rate outside the supported range. Alternatively, you may
    > just have hit on a particularly noisy resolution/refresh rate combination.
    > For example, my monitor gives funny distortion above 75Hz at 1280x1024,
    > but has no problem with higher resolutions and rates. Try setting a
    > different refresh rate (say, 70 or 75Hz).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Minderbinder.

    My current LILO & KDE config is 1024X768 61Hz which produces a squeal...
    My current Win2K config is 1024X768 75Hz which does not squeal and if I
    change the Windows config to 60Hz the monitor starts to squeal...

    So the million dollar question is how do I specify a refresh rate of 75Hz in
    Linux ? It's not listed as an option in lilo.conf not is it listed in KDE
    under "Screen Resize and Rotate"
    ..
    --
    Thanks

    Murph

  4. Re: Monitor Squeal

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:24:56 +0000, Murphy wrote:

    > Minderbinder wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:47:52 +0000, Murphy wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until
    >>> I start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >>>
    >>> The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >>>
    >>> How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    >> Have you set your Vsync and Hsync ranges correctly? You might be trying
    >> to use a refresh rate outside the supported range. Alternatively, you
    >> may just have hit on a particularly noisy resolution/refresh rate
    >> combination. For example, my monitor gives funny distortion above 75Hz
    >> at 1280x1024, but has no problem with higher resolutions and rates. Try
    >> setting a different refresh rate (say, 70 or 75Hz).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Minderbinder.

    > My current LILO & KDE config is 1024X768 61Hz which produces a squeal...
    > My current Win2K config is 1024X768 75Hz which does not squeal and if I
    > change the Windows config to 60Hz the monitor starts to squeal...
    >
    > So the million dollar question is how do I specify a refresh rate of 75Hz
    > in Linux ? It's not listed as an option in lilo.conf not is it listed in
    > KDE under "Screen Resize and Rotate"
    > .

    If you specify the correct vertical and horizontal refresh ranges in
    XF86Config (or xorg.conf), usually X will select the highest supported
    refresh rate for any resolution. You can see the ranges (HorizSync,
    VertRefresh) for my monitor in the Monitor section of my config file
    (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). Note that I've also got a custom modeline that drops
    my monitor's refresh rate to 75Hz when at resolution 1280x1024. You can't
    just copy the numbers from my config, of course. You need to find the
    correct ranges from your manual or manufacturer's specs.

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Hitachi"
    ModelName "CM721F"
    DisplaySize 360 270
    HorizSync 31.0 - 95.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Modeline "1280x1024@75" 138.54 1280 1368 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 106
    9 -HSync +Vsync
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

  5. Re: Monitor Squeal

    Murphy wrote:

    > When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    > start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >
    > The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >
    > How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    You can try changing settings with xvidtune.
    Sometimes the problem is transformer broken or small
    particles have loosened inside, and the squeel becomes
    impossible to remove as it resonates with the high
    frequencies at which the HT transformer is working.
    Not a good sign actually if its a big noise.

  6. Re: Monitor Squeal

    7 wrote:
    > Murphy wrote:
    >

    >>When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    >>start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >>
    >>The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >>
    >>How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    > You can try changing settings with xvidtune.
    > Sometimes the problem is transformer broken or small
    > particles have loosened inside, and the squeel becomes
    > impossible to remove as it resonates with the high
    > frequencies at which the HT transformer is working.
    > Not a good sign actually if its a big noise.

    hmmm.... never heard that one. I have heard solid state electronics
    squeal, such as capacitors. Some people can't even hear the squeals...
    women seem to be better at hearing the high frequencies. I hear them,
    though maybe I just am more sensitive to high freq than most men. Not
    exaclty a blessing... I have a harder time with conversations where
    there is a lot of background noise. I can remember back when my dad had
    a computer shop in the 80's. I would mention some of the monitors made
    noises but most the other guys didn't hear it, though the girls almost
    all did.

    morningdew.

  7. Re: Monitor Squeal

    The solution is to get a rhesus monkey as a pet, as they are
    very sensitive to high frequency noises. You will probably notice
    that the monitor begins to squeal after it has been on for some
    time. The monkey will notice this earlier and begin to get agitated
    and throw feces at you, while shrieking loudly. This is a sign that
    you should throw the monkey a banana, and turn off the monitor for
    half an hour. After the tube has cooled down to 75 degrees C you can
    start up again. Perhaps aiming a large 120 V fan towards the back of the
    monitor might alleviate the condition.

    Another idea, although it is unlikely to solve the problem is to go
    into xf86config and reset the horizontal synch frequencies of the
    monitor to a lower value, while making sure you have the right card
    driver. Try the SVGA driver out for noise too. If you fool with screen
    resolutions in X, cutting back the higher res screens, it may make a
    difference. You can do that easiest in XF86Setup, if you have that
    Tcl/tk program. It is available at the Slackware home page.
    http://www.slackware.com

    xvidtune can be dangerous. I would rather fool with the horizontal
    synchs than fool with xvidtune. It can give bizarre and unstable
    results. I have burnt out fixed frequency monitors in X by setting the
    synchs wrong, but if you read the docs and act conservatively, it should
    be no never mind.

    EC<:-}

    Morningdew wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Murphy wrote:
    >>

    >>> When I start Slackware the screen squeals and continues to do so until I
    >>> start gnome and change the screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600
    >>>
    >>> The monitor is a 17" and should handle 1024X768
    >>>
    >>> How can I get it to work without the piercing squeal ?

    >> You can try changing settings with xvidtune.
    >> Sometimes the problem is transformer broken or small
    >> particles have loosened inside, and the squeel becomes
    >> impossible to remove as it resonates with the high
    >> frequencies at which the HT transformer is working.
    >> Not a good sign actually if its a big noise.
    >>

    > hmmm.... never heard that one. I have heard solid state electronics
    > squeal, such as capacitors. Some people can't even hear the squeals...
    > women seem to be better at hearing the high frequencies. I hear them,
    > though maybe I just am more sensitive to high freq than most men. Not
    > exaclty a blessing... I have a harder time with conversations where
    > there is a lot of background noise. I can remember back when my dad had
    > a computer shop in the 80's. I would mention some of the monitors made
    > noises but most the other guys didn't hear it, though the girls almost
    > all did.
    >
    > morningdew.

+ Reply to Thread