How does one teach Linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on How does one teach Linux? - Questions ; I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the OS. How does one do that? Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there books that might help? Anybody? Thanks!...

  1. How does one teach Linux?

    I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    OS. How does one do that? Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there
    books that might help? Anybody?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:26:02 GMT, Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    > OS.

    Which OS. there are over 195+ linuxes.

    > How does one do that?

    You sit down and write a lesson plan.
    You teach the basics and decide how far to go.

    How to use locate, read man pages, use google.com,
    http://www.tldp.org

    > Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there
    > books that might help? Anybody?

    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/rute.html.gz
    http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak.../Starter.html/
    http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak...and-Line.html/

  3. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Bit Twister :
    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:26:02 GMT, Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    >> I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    >> OS.

    > Which OS. there are over 195+ linuxes.

    >> How does one do that?

    > You sit down and write a lesson plan.
    > You teach the basics and decide how far to go.

    > How to use locate, read man pages, use google.com,
    > http://www.tldp.org

    >> Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there
    >> books that might help? Anybody?

    > http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/rute.html.gz
    > http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak.../Starter.html/
    > http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak...and-Line.html/

    Yep, in addition the teachers plausibility should raise once he
    gets beyond using a completely broken newsreader.

    The "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" should be a distro
    independent guide:

    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/

    Ops, taking a closer look you posted the URL already.

    #bofh excuse 144: Too few computrons available.

  4. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:40:39 +0100, Michael Heiming wrote:

    > Yep, in addition the teachers plausibility should raise once he
    > gets beyond using a completely broken newsreader.

    Well Hiawatha did mention s/he is an amateur Linux user.
    Hopefully Hiawatha was posting from work. :-D
    But, with a verizon ISP, I guessing not.

    > The "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" should be a distro
    > independent guide:

    Lots of topics to pick from in the above book, that's for sure.

    Hopefully Hiawatha will spend a half hour on
    and using google.com

    Some simple script info and a link like
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    Maybe provide something to get them running quicker on some apps.
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml
    http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/App...rossover_Chart

    Then again Hiawatha did not say what kind of class, management, sys op,
    application programmer, user, ...

  5. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    > OS.**How*does*one*do*that?**Has*anybody*here*ever* taught*Linux?**Are*there*
    > books that might help?**Anybody?

    .... first, you get BEYOND amateur status.
    Screw up your courage! You've screwed up everything else.

  6. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:26:02 +0000, Hiawatha Bray wrote:

    > I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    > OS. How does one do that? Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there
    > books that might help? Anybody?
    >
    > Thanks!

    That depends a bit on what resources you will have available and on your
    intended audience. I'd second the idea that you really need to learn more
    about the subject. Install and use it regularly; test a bunch of different
    distributions - find their strengths and weaknesses. I would refer you to,
    particularly, www.distrowatch.com, www.yolinux.com and www.tldp.org (there
    is a pretty good linux faq at tldp).

    I have taught a few people to use linux. If you are trying to get them to
    adopt linux vice MS, a good tactic seems to get them using mozilla (or
    netscape) and OpenOffice on their MS systems first. When they are
    comfortable with those products, it will be less of a shock for them to
    start running linux in a dual boot scenario. Also be aware that there are
    a few things for which linux lacks a suitable replacement - there can be
    compelling reasons why Quicken is required (if your accountant expects
    quicken files - I've yet to find a linux program which will export Quicken
    files). I've not yet found a way for my wife to make greeting cards under
    linux. And there are a few others. I advise against running MS programs on
    linux using wine or crossover office, etc. If you have to use the MS
    programs, run them under MS - just disconnect from the network first. It's
    also cool to give out copies of some linux 'live CD' distros, like
    Knoppix. You'll also find that you can order Ubuntu installation disks for
    free.

  7. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    Den Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:29:05 +0000. skrev Bit Twister:

    > [...] Hiawatha did not say what kind of class, management, sys op,
    > application programmer, user, ...

    That, IMO, would be the first question. If one is at an office or at a
    club or something, and one only has to educate users, it is basically a
    question of installing the thing and just sticking around until the users
    forget to look scared. I had a teacher once teaching MS-Access who was so
    fond of little Windows tricks that it made the whole thing seem complex.
    As for teaching system administration, no beginner (that would be the
    Oops! category) should teach this, except if it was one-box root jobs. And
    even then...
    Teaching people to use Linux is basically the task of teaching them to try
    to figure out problems for themselves. I had mount issues with my USB
    Flash pen, which I solved with a bit of help from older discussions at
    linuxquestions.org. Imagine a Windows user discovering that the thing
    didn't register correctly. What to do? Here, one does not just have
    administrator rights; but root privileges. It is not called privileges
    without reason.

  8. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:29:05 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:40:39 +0100, Michael Heiming wrote:
    >>
    >> Yep, in addition the teachers plausibility should raise once he
    >> gets beyond using a completely broken newsreader.

    > Well Hiawatha did mention s/he is an amateur Linux user.
    > Hopefully Hiawatha was posting from work. :-D
    > But, with a verizon ISP, I guessing not.

    Hiawatha Bray is the technology columnist for the Boston Globe. He is one
    of the few general interest newspaper (as opposed to tech industry
    publications) writers who covers Linux topics. His articles are
    interesting, well written and certainly head and shoulders above the level
    that you find in most American newspapers. There are only four newspapers
    in the US who attempt to do a decent job of explaining tech topics to lay
    readers, The Boston Globe, The San Jose Mercury News, The NY Times and the
    The Wall Street Journal. If you look in any other newspaper (The Chicago
    Tribune is a particularly egregious example) you'll see some mindless Q &
    A column which never deals with anything more sophisicated then how to
    change the sound settings in WinXP.

    Hiawatha has come to these groups on a number of occasions with questions
    which is an important indicator that he is pretty well clued in for a
    non-techie. We all take Usenet for granted but in the wider world Usenet
    is virtually unknown. It's one of the few pieces of the Internet that date
    back to it's earliest days so it's never mentioned in the general press
    which is more concerned with recent things like Blogs.

    What I'm saying is please be nice to Hiawatha and answer his questions as
    best you can. When I pick up the Globe tommorow I'd rather read how
    helpful the Linux community was instead of reading how they flamed him for
    asking a perfectly reasonable question.

  9. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:09:23 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    < nice Hiawatha background snipped>

    > What I'm saying is please be nice to Hiawatha and answer his questions as
    > best you can. When I pick up the Globe tommorow I'd rather read how
    > helpful the Linux community was instead of reading how they flamed him for
    > asking a perfectly reasonable question.

    Hmmm, "perfectly reasonable question"??
    It was too broad of a question for us to give a good answer.

    Spending time telling him about administration text or programming
    would be a waste if his goal was to get the mom/pop up and running.

    He did get some good reference material references and never did
    come back to provide any indication the training goal.

  10. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    In comp.os.linux.misc Bit Twister :
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:09:23 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>

    > < nice Hiawatha background snipped>
    >>
    >> What I'm saying is please be nice to Hiawatha and answer his questions as
    >> best you can. When I pick up the Globe tommorow I'd rather read how
    >> helpful the Linux community was instead of reading how they flamed him for
    >> asking a perfectly reasonable question.

    > Hmmm, "perfectly reasonable question"??
    > It was too broad of a question for us to give a good answer.

    > Spending time telling him about administration text or programming
    > would be a waste if his goal was to get the mom/pop up and running.

    > He did get some good reference material references and never did
    > come back to provide any indication the training goal.

    Ack, after rereading the answers, they were not that bad looking
    at the pretty general question he provided in his OP and he
    didn't came back to specify his goals more closer, which would
    perhaps allow for more helpful answers.

    Don't really see that he got flamed, sure someone asking in this
    ng shouldn't be highly sensitive.

    Perhaps you could come back with a short summary from the
    newspaper in question, to give us a feeling what he made out of
    our answers? Would be interesting.

    #bofh excuse 59: failed trials, system needs redesigned

  11. Re: How does one teach Linux?

    yes, there were some guys from Toronto who went all over the world in
    the nineties developing standards of teaching linux, as well as
    producing texts and holding classes. They produced or used a text called
    General Linux One (LeBlanc) which is pretty reasonable. Linux
    Professional Institute - Coriolis Press. http://www.lpi.org/en/lpic.html
    It was sponsored by a group called CLUE but I don't know if they are
    that active anymore in teaching. They still exist.

    http://www.learninglinux.com/

    EC<:-}

    Hiawatha Bray wrote:
    > I'm an amateur Linux user and I've been asked to teach others how to use the
    > OS. How does one do that? Has anybody here ever taught Linux? Are there
    > books that might help? Anybody?
    >
    > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread