Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embeddedsystem, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... ) - Questions

This is a discussion on Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embeddedsystem, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... ) - Questions ; -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 I have released the first full version of my thesis. I am looking for rereaders to track syntax and phrasing problems. The reader is expected to try to understand what I wrote, and report ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embeddedsystem, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

  1. Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embeddedsystem, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I have released the first full version of my thesis. I am looking for
    rereaders to track syntax and phrasing problems.

    The reader is expected to try to understand what I wrote, and report any
    problem.

    The subject is (50k)
    http://www.demaine.info/projet_self_...t_proposal.pdf

    the log book is (4M)
    http://www.demaine.info/projet_self_...m/log_book.pdf

    the Thesis is (7M)
    http://www.demaine.info/projet_self_...mal_report.pdf

    The root url is http://www.demaine.info/projet_self_tracking_webcam/

    If any one hates PDF, you can download the Latex sources at
    http://www.demaine.info/projet_self_...ebcam/reports/


    ***
    Readers shall only report about the FormalReport, but might want to read
    the project proposal first ( just 2 pages ).
    ***

    In short. it deals with building a camera able to track any object. I
    had to build a USB development board based on the motorola MC68HC908JB8,
    write the monitor to upload the firmware under Linux, write the
    firmware, write the user application able to view the picture, compute
    it, and give orders to the USB board to move the servo motors supporting
    the camera.

    All reports are written in english; all software are written to run on
    Linux.

    Readers shall send any comments at the email written in the front page,
    or the one on http://www.demaine.info/contact.png .

    I dont expect any one to understand it all, because it involves both low
    level hardware, and hih level programming ... but if one guy can
    criticize the low level and an other one the high level, that would be
    great.

    If after reading some pages any one still feel like reading it all,
    pleas inform me about it by mail, so that I know how many readers will
    do it, and how much time I shall wait for comments before printing it
    for my teacher.

    Like every one, I am in hurry; so please just mail me and tell me how
    much time it will take to read it all.

    PS : one part is still missing. It will say the same thing as the web
    page, but in the PDF.

    Many thanks for any help.
    - --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFBthwNGWSTLbOSw8IRAllGAKDCDqPTkycrG18ZJQGC6e U5BfIfUwCfW4ri
    Akk9u+XZIYioX/x3YoyRZ9Q=
    =PmKn
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:09:35 +0000, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:



    And why exactly do you feel it's reasonable to ask complete strangers to
    'mark' your work? What recompense do we get for helping you present *your*
    thesis? You're either very arrogant or very stupid.
    HTH
    Chris.



  3. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Chris Cole writes:

    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:09:35 +0000, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > And why exactly do you feel it's reasonable to ask complete strangers to
    > 'mark' your work? What recompense do we get for helping you present *your*
    > thesis? You're either very arrogant or very stupid.
    > HTH
    > Chris.


    Chris,

    I think that's a very heavy-handed comment. If you're not interested, simply
    don't respond. I think it's reasonable to ask the folks here for such help. Of
    course many people won't have the time, but some might.
    --
    Randy Yates
    Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
    Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
    randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124

  4. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:28:02 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:

    > Chris Cole writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:09:35 +0000, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> And why exactly do you feel it's reasonable to ask complete strangers
    >> to 'mark' your work? What recompense do we get for helping you present
    >> *your* thesis? You're either very arrogant or very stupid. HTH Chris.

    >
    > Chris,
    >
    > I think that's a very heavy-handed comment. If you're not interested,
    > simply don't respond. I think it's reasonable to ask the folks here for
    > such help. Of course many people won't have the time, but some might.


    Randy,

    I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested). However,
    the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected people with a
    high level of technical expertise to donate their free (not as in free
    beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond what I consider
    reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and phrasing problems'. He
    doesn't need technical expertise, just a native English speaker.

    The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    synonymous with a request, more an order.

    Remember, a thesis is supposed to be all your *own* work. Surely, he could
    have got a friend or someone in the University dept. to have a look, esp.
    as he's not specifically after technical pointers. Also, I don't
    understand why he wants us to see before his supervisor. It's just as much
    in his interest that you pass as it is yours, it's part of his supervisory
    role to check the final report/thesis.
    My comments may have been harsh, but I feel fair.

    Chris.

  5. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Chris Cole writes:
    > [...]
    > The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    > synonymous with a request, more an order.


    That bugs me too when I hear people phrase things like that. If they
    expect a favor, the least they can do is phrase the request politely.
    --
    Randy Yates
    Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
    Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
    randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124

  6. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Randy Yates.

    > Chris Cole writes:
    >> [...]
    >> The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >> synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >
    > That bugs me too when I hear people phrase things like that. If they
    > expect a favor, the least they can do is phrase the request politely.


    I think you are totally right: this message sounds very arrogant.
    However, the author is not a native english speaker, so that may be
    clumsiness and not arrogance?

    By the way, this post was a spam, it is crossposted in 8 groups
    without any followup. It would be very nice of you to chose a single
    group to persue this dicussion. Especially avoid fr.sci.maths which is
    a french speaking group.

    I position a first followup to all the english speaking groups, this
    is still bad, but I really don't know which to chose.

  7. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    In comp.programming Chris Cole wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:28:02 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:


    >> Chris Cole writes:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 21:09:35 +0000, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> And why exactly do you feel it's reasonable to ask complete strangers
    >>> to 'mark' your work? What recompense do we get for helping you present
    >>> *your* thesis? You're either very arrogant or very stupid. HTH Chris.

    >>
    >> Chris,
    >>
    >> I think that's a very heavy-handed comment. If you're not interested,
    >> simply don't respond. I think it's reasonable to ask the folks here for
    >> such help. Of course many people won't have the time, but some might.


    > Randy,


    > I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested). However,
    > the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected people with a
    > high level of technical expertise to donate their free (not as in free
    > beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond what I consider
    > reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and phrasing problems'. He
    > doesn't need technical expertise, just a native English speaker.


    > The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    > synonymous with a request, more an order.


    But take into account that he isn't a native english speaker (as you
    will easily recognize when you have a short look at the text), so he
    might not be aware of these nuances.

    But what I would recommend to Benoit-Pierre is to use at least a spell-
    checker before asking other people to read it - already the first few
    pages contain several typos that a spellchecker would easily find (use
    e.g. emacs in TeX mode to stop the spellchecker from complaining about
    the TeX tags). Another thing is your frequent use of sentences using
    "I", which makes it look more like a blog than a scientific text. E.g.
    in the very first sentences of the chapter you call "Global descrip-
    tion" (copied verbally)

    "In endebbed and limited systems, I want the computing time to be
    constant, and the error ratio to be the same for each computation.
    The use of random search may increase slightly the speed of the
    process, but since that can introduce big variations of error
    ratio, I don't want to use it."

    you would prefer to replace the "I want" with "it is preferable"
    or something like that. Beside that you should try to re-read these
    sentences, trying to pretend that you don't know anything about the
    topic. Then you probably will find that hardly anyone will under-
    stand what you mean by "computing time to be constant" since you
    don't even tell what you are computing. The same holds for the
    discussion of the error ratio - what kind of errors in what compu-
    tations are you talking about and what do you compare them to to be
    able to calculate a ratio? And how comes a "random search" into it?
    Is having the "same error ratio" restricted to embedded (and not
    "endebbed" as you consistently spell it) and limited (whatever that
    are supposed to be) systems?
    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de
    \__________________________ http://www.toerring.de

  8. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:45:15 +0100, Babacio wrote:

    > Randy Yates.
    >
    >> Chris Cole writes:
    >>> [...]
    >>> The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >>> synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >>
    >> That bugs me too when I hear people phrase things like that. If they
    >> expect a favor, the least they can do is phrase the request politely.

    >
    > I think you are totally right: this message sounds very arrogant.
    > However, the author is not a native english speaker, so that may be
    > clumsiness and not arrogance?
    >
    > By the way, this post was a spam, it is crossposted in 8 groups
    > without any followup. It would be very nice of you to chose a single
    > group to persue this dicussion. Especially avoid fr.sci.maths which is
    > a french speaking group.


    Good point. I initially thought it was a relevant ng as he is probably
    French (judging by the OPs name), but the report is written in English so
    it is an irrelevant ng to post this 'request' to.

    > I position a first followup to all the english speaking groups, this
    > is still bad, but I really don't know which to chose.



  9. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:22:24 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:

    > Chris Cole writes:
    >> [...]
    >> The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >> synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >
    > That bugs me too when I hear people phrase things like that. If they
    > expect a favor, the least they can do is phrase the request politely.


    Yeah, it's the least they can do. I think it was this that touched a
    nerve, originally.

    As Babacio mentioned this is probably spam, so I guess I should have
    ignored it after all.

  10. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Chris Cole wrote:

    > Randy,
    >
    > I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested). However,
    > the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected people with a
    > high level of technical expertise to donate their free (not as in free
    > beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond what I consider
    > reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and phrasing problems'. He
    > doesn't need technical expertise, just a native English speaker.
    >
    > The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    > synonymous with a request, more an order.


    That choice of words simply shows that he's not a native English
    speaker. A friend thought she was saying "I don't care" in French, but
    what she actually said was closer to "I don't give a good God damn."

    > Remember, a thesis is supposed to be all your *own* work. Surely, he could
    > have got a friend or someone in the University dept. to have a look, esp.
    > as he's not specifically after technical pointers. Also, I don't
    > understand why he wants us to see before his supervisor.


    It's really stupid to assume that what's cross posted remains a secret.
    He may not care.

    > It's just as much
    > in his interest that you pass as it is yours, it's part of his supervisory
    > role to check the final report/thesis.


    I don't grok the pronouns there.

    > My comments may have been harsh, but I feel fair.


    Fair? Yes. Necessary? You decide. Benoit-Pierre probably learned from
    it. (I'm not going to proofread it either.)

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  11. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Jerry Avins wrote:

    > Chris Cole wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Randy,
    >>
    >>I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested). However,
    >>the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected people with a
    >>high level of technical expertise to donate their free (not as in free
    >>beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond what I consider
    >>reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and phrasing problems'. He
    >>doesn't need technical expertise, just a native English speaker.
    >>
    >>The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >>synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >
    >
    > That choice of words simply shows that he's not a native English
    > speaker. A friend thought she was saying "I don't care" in French, but
    > what she actually said was closer to "I don't give a good God damn."
    >

    There's a difference in English? That explains why I keep pissing off
    managers!
    >
    >>Remember, a thesis is supposed to be all your *own* work. Surely, he could
    >>have got a friend or someone in the University dept. to have a look, esp.
    >>as he's not specifically after technical pointers. Also, I don't
    >>understand why he wants us to see before his supervisor.

    >
    >
    > It's really stupid to assume that what's cross posted remains a secret.
    > He may not care.
    >

    I don't understand wanting it done before he shows his supervisor, but I
    see nothing wrong with having someone go over it -- particularly for
    grammar, punctuation & usage. Even having somebody go over it for
    technical problems is well within what I would find acceptable.

    If it were me I wouldn't post it here though -- I'd pay an English major
    to vet it.
    >
    >> It's just as much
    >>in his interest that you pass as it is yours, it's part of his supervisory
    >>role to check the final report/thesis.

    >
    >
    > I don't grok the pronouns there.
    >
    >
    >>My comments may have been harsh, but I feel fair.

    >
    >
    > Fair? Yes. Necessary? You decide. Benoit-Pierre probably learned from
    > it. (I'm not going to proofread it either.)
    >
    > Jerry



    --

    Tim Wescott
    Wescott Design Services
    http://www.wescottdesign.com

  12. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:18:34 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:

    > Chris Cole wrote:
    >
    >> Randy,
    >>
    >> I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested).
    >> However, the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected
    >> people with a high level of technical expertise to donate their free
    >> (not as in free beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond
    >> what I consider reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and
    >> phrasing problems'. He doesn't need technical expertise, just a native
    >> English speaker.
    >>
    >> The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >> synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >
    > That choice of words simply shows that he's not a native English
    > speaker. A friend thought she was saying "I don't care" in French, but
    > what she actually said was closer to "I don't give a good God damn."


    Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me. The OP's doing a Masters degree at
    an English University, so he should have more than a simple grasp of the
    English language. Politeness is not a language issue. BTW I'm pretty
    fluent in French and if I were to a make a similar request on a French ng
    I'd make damn sure that the tone was correct. I'm guessing your friend was
    confusing 'je m'en fiche' (I do not care) with 'je m'en fou' (I don't give
    a f***), which indeed say the same, but with considerable difference in
    strength ;-)



  13. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    Chris Cole wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:18:34 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Chris Cole wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Randy,
    >>>
    >>>I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested).
    >>>However, the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected
    >>>people with a high level of technical expertise to donate their free
    >>>(not as in free beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond
    >>>what I consider reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and
    >>>phrasing problems'. He doesn't need technical expertise, just a native
    >>>English speaker.
    >>>
    >>>The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    >>>synonymous with a request, more an order.

    >>
    >>That choice of words simply shows that he's not a native English
    >>speaker. A friend thought she was saying "I don't care" in French, but
    >>what she actually said was closer to "I don't give a good God damn."

    >
    >
    > Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me. The OP's doing a Masters degree at
    > an English University, so he should have more than a simple grasp of the
    > English language. Politeness is not a language issue. BTW I'm pretty
    > fluent in French and if I were to a make a similar request on a French ng
    > I'd make damn sure that the tone was correct. I'm guessing your friend was
    > confusing 'je m'en fiche' (I do not care) with 'je m'en fou' (I don't give
    > a f***), which indeed say the same, but with considerable difference in
    > strength ;-)


    English university? I missed that. Write him off!

    The friend (still!), a high-school classmate, had just finished her
    junior year and was visiting in France for the summer. Very
    embarrassing, especially at that age.

    Jerry
    --
    Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  14. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    > I almost did ignore it (as I usually do when I'm not interested). However,
    > the fact the OP cross-posted to seven ngs *and* expected people with a
    > high level of technical expertise to donate their free (not as in free
    > beer!) time to read a 73 page thesis was far beyond what I consider
    > reasonable. Especially as he's after 'syntax and phrasing problems'. He
    > doesn't need technical expertise, just a native English speaker.


    None of my friend has sufficient english level to read my thesis.
    And my tutor wants my report to be corrected before I submit it.

    > The tone is wrong as well. Words like 'expect' and 'shall' are not
    > synonymous with a request, more an order.


    Sorry for that. I dont want to force any one.

    > Remember, a thesis is supposed to be all your *own* work. Surely, he could
    > have got a friend or someone in the University dept. to have a look, esp.
    > as he's not specifically after technical pointers. Also, I don't
    > understand why he wants us to see before his supervisor. It's just as much
    > in his interest that you pass as it is yours, it's part of his supervisory
    > role to check the final report/thesis.
    > My comments may have been harsh, but I feel fair.


    In fact, I dont feel confident with my tutor.

    --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't

  15. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    > That bugs me too when I hear people phrase things like that. If they
    > expect a favor, the least they can do is phrase the request politely.


    If I expected my english to be good, I would not look for re-readers.
    I may be wrong for many things. That is right, even in the way I ask for
    help.

    --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't

  16. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    > But take into account that he isn't a native english speaker (as you
    > will easily recognize when you have a short look at the text), so he
    > might not be aware of these nuances.


    I thought I was aware of the nuance, but I did not think you would take
    it as agressive form ...

    > But what I would recommend to Benoit-Pierre is to use at least a spell-
    > checker before asking other people to read it


    I run the spell checker tvice a day on this document ...

    > Another thing is your frequent use of sentences using
    > "I", which makes it look more like a blog than a scientific text. E.g.


    There is an historical reason : I wrote first the logbook, which you
    could call a blog. For this project I am used to speak in my own name.
    But this reflexion will be take into consideration during further
    re-reading.

    --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't

  17. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    > Sorry, but that doesn't wash with me. The OP's doing a Masters degree at
    > an English University, so he should have more than a simple grasp of the
    > English language. Politeness is not a language issue. BTW I'm pretty


    You would be surprised to see how easy it was to enter this university;
    and I can sware you that many students can get their degree and go back
    home after a year not even knowing how to ask their way in town ( in
    english ).

    --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't

  18. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    > It's really stupid to assume that what's cross posted remains a secret.
    > He may not care.


    I dont see your point at all. Is a final year report expected to be a
    secret ? It is before all a university research ... the aim of my work
    is to improove my computing knowledge, and that every one should benefit
    of my work. Any way, the university will double publish it: once in
    their own library, once in the national library in London. This is why I
    am looking for rereaders.

    --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't

  19. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals withembedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    It looks like many people mis-understood me:

    - - if I knew my english to be perfect, I would not ask for help.

    - - the subject I choosed for this thread is not: "hey guys I ve done a
    great work, you should read this", but "I need some heavy help, who has
    time to afford me ?"

    - - I dont want to force any one, but if any one really want to help me,
    then I tell by advance which kind of help I want. That is why I wrote :
    "Readers shall/are expected to" ... if you dont want to be a reader it
    is up to you.

    - - I very shortly describe my thesis in the post so that if the topic
    bores any one, he can forget me; but if is interesed, it is up to him to
    read it all ( or part ).

    Is that fair ?

    - --
    DEMAINE Benoît-Pierre http:/www.demaine.info/
    \_o< apt-get remove ispell >o_/
    There're 10 types of people: those who can count in binary and those who
    can't
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFBuLCvGWSTLbOSw8IRApYVAJ4rM+6n1Pm37nBSe/ob2OHxd45kywCdGkMp
    LQLV8Mk7aqgCN/UlqdZnanE=
    =oF1L
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  20. Re: Student looking for re-readers for his thesis ( it deals with embedded system, USB, Linux, microcontrolers, firmwares ... )

    On 2004-12-09, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:
    >> But take into account that he isn't a native english speaker (as you
    >> will easily recognize when you have a short look at the text), so he
    >> might not be aware of these nuances.

    >
    > I thought I was aware of the nuance, but I did not think you would take
    > it as agressive form ...
    >
    >> But what I would recommend to Benoit-Pierre is to use at least a spell-
    >> checker before asking other people to read it

    >
    > I run the spell checker tvice a day on this document ...


    At first I thought that statement was a joke.

    >> Another thing is your frequent use of sentences using
    >> "I", which makes it look more like a blog than a scientific text. E.g.

    >
    > There is an historical reason : I wrote first the logbook, which you
    > could call a blog. For this project I am used to speak in my own name.
    > But this reflexion will be take into consideration during further
    > re-reading.


    For whatever the reason, it's traditional to use passive voice
    in scientific/technical academic writing. Sometime's it's a
    bit awkward, but that's how it's done.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is it clean in other
    at dimensions?
    visi.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast