Internet filtering s/w for Linux - Questions

This is a discussion on Internet filtering s/w for Linux - Questions ; My kids have seen the KDE desktop manager and are, well, smitten. They'd like to use linux, but I have a problem: I need to be able to restrict and filter their internet access. Is there any Linux software that ...

  1. Internet filtering s/w for Linux

    My kids have seen the KDE desktop manager and are, well, smitten. They'd
    like to use linux, but I have a problem: I need to be able to restrict and
    filter their internet access. Is there any Linux software that will do me?
    I have in mind something like CyberPatrol or NetNanny that blocks selected
    sites and that also allows me to restrict their internet access to certain
    times of the day.
    --
    Ernie Bloch
    Your source for fine critical theory since 1918.

  2. Re: Internet filtering s/w for Linux

    ebloch wrote:

    > My kids have seen the KDE desktop manager and are, well, smitten. They'd
    > like to use linux, but I have a problem: I need to be able to restrict and
    > filter their internet access. Is there any Linux software that will do me?
    > I have in mind something like CyberPatrol or NetNanny that blocks selected
    > sites and that also allows me to restrict their internet access to certain
    > times of the day.

    Dan's Guardian does a decent job of filtering bad content, and works with
    the Squid proxy. As for restrict internet access to certain times of day,
    maybe setup a cron job to run iptables commands to allow/block access.

+ Reply to Thread