portmapd and sshd won't run as daemons - Questions

This is a discussion on portmapd and sshd won't run as daemons - Questions ; I have a confusing problem where neither portmapd, or sshd will run as daemons (eg via /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap or ssh) but will run fine if I turn on debugging (eg. /sbin/portmap -d or /usr/sbin/sshd -d ) and run them in a ...

  1. portmapd and sshd won't run as daemons

    I have a confusing problem where neither portmapd, or sshd will run as
    daemons (eg via /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap or ssh) but will run fine if I
    turn on debugging (eg. /sbin/portmap -d or /usr/sbin/sshd -d ) and run
    them in a console (as root)

    The message that I get when running redhat-config-services is
    "xxx is dead, but subsys locked." (if I try to start portmap for
    instance from the redhat ui). At boot time, if I enable portmap or sshd
    to run, startup hangs and I have to use interactive mode to get the
    system up. (I'm pretty certain that this all worked at one point)

    I've removed lock files, even moved /var/lock/subsys and created a new
    one. I've looked in /var/run for defunct processes.

    When running with debug on, they work fine and processes that use them
    (like NFS) work fine.

    I've looked through /var/log/messages and boot.log but when portmap is
    running as a daemon, it doesn't seem to output anything (and when I turn
    on debug, it works!)

    Questions:
    Is there any way to get some more output from portmap when it is running
    as a daemon? How can I turn on -v option?

    What other processes does portmap depend on (eg. iptables?)

    Thanks for your help!

    kernel is vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl, fedora core1

  2. Re: portmapd and sshd won't run as daemons

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.questions.]
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:52:01 -0400, Rob Mitchell
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've looked through /var/log/messages and boot.log but when portmap is
    >>running as a daemon, it doesn't seem to output anything (and when I turn
    >>on debug, it works!)
    >>

    > Are you sure that /var is not full?

    [robm@boxster robm]$ df /var
    /dev/hda3 10270304 6052100 3696496 63% /
    [robm@boxster robm]$

    seems to be ok. Other messages are put in the log just fine. Also,
    portmap does work in debug mode (/sbin/portmap -d) which cause it to run
    in the foreground and output lots of messages. (all good)

    permissions?
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33392 Sep 23 2003 /sbin/portmap

    init files?
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K87portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K87portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K87portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S13portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S13portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K87portmap
    /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K87portmap

    (Note that rc5.d is K, because I had to turn it off in order to boot,
    otherwise my system hangs for a while coming up. When on, this was
    S13portmap)

    [robm@boxster robm]$ ll /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K87portmap
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Oct 12 00:19
    /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K87portmap -> ../init.d/portmap
    [robm@boxster robm]$

    [robm@boxster init.d]$ ll portmap
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1817 Oct 12 00:11 portmap

    What seems to happen is that portmap starts with no messages at all, but
    dies (or didn't really start). portmap stop, then fails.

    I even hardcoded the path into the portmap script to make sure it was
    going the right place.

    I'm at a loss.

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread