some users can samba, some can't. Why? - Questions

This is a discussion on some users can samba, some can't. Why? - Questions ; I'm having trouble setting up Samba. I hope someone here can help me troubleshoot. Here's the situation. First, I have created identical userid/passwd on the server and the client machines. E.g. WinXP user damon has an account on the server ...

  1. some users can samba, some can't. Why?

    I'm having trouble setting up Samba. I hope someone here can help me
    troubleshoot. Here's the situation.

    First, I have created identical userid/passwd on the server and the
    client machines. E.g. WinXP user damon has an account on the server for
    damon with the same password. Linux user dr has an account on the server
    for dr with the same password. I want all my WinXP and Linux users to be
    able to read/write in their server share and to print on the network
    printer.

    There is also a user named bonden on the server that does not exist on
    any other system.

    WinXP user damon can read and write to his directory on the server.
    WinXP user damon can print on the network printer.
    WinXP user scooter cannot do either.
    Linux user dr cannot connect to the server with smbclient.
    Linus user dr can print on the network printer, but only after I set up
    the printer with bonden's userid and password.

    Linux user dr can read and write to the server with smbclient only if he
    pretends to be server user 'bonden.' (smbclient //whitehall/bonden
    passwd -U bonden). If dr tries to do it, he gets this error:

    tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
    /var/run/samba/unexpected.tdb: Permission denied
    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

    Do I have to set up a printer for each user on the Linux system? That
    is, must this be done so that each user's print job will send a userid
    and password? When I tried creating a printer for dr, it fails, but
    still works if dr uses bonden.

    Would this also be true under WinXP? That is, must I set up the printer
    for each WinXP user so that it supplies userid and password? This would
    explain why user damon can print and user scooter cannot.

    Why can't Linux user dr connect to the server?

    Here are some relevant sections from my smb.conf file:

    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = MSHOME
    load printers = yes
    printing = bsd
    encrypt passwords = true

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /tmp
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = no
    create mode = 0700

    So, see any obvious problems? Not so obvious problems? What should I try
    next?

    Thanks,

    -- Damon

  2. Re: some users can samba, some can't. Why?

    "damon" wrote in message

    I always use:

    password level = 16
    username level = 16