external IP monitor app - Questions

This is a discussion on external IP monitor app - Questions ; Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the ...

  1. external IP monitor app

    Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external
    ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's
    utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I
    desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the only thing
    stopping me is my inability to find an ip monitor for Linux. I often FTP
    in from outside, and my cable (Roadrunner) changes my ip about once a
    year. Barefoot's utility checks the ip at a set interval and FTP's it
    to my webserver, where I can view it from anywhere.

    Or,if you can suggest a better method of guaranteeing access to my
    server from outside, I would very much be interested in hearing it.

    TIA,

    Greg

  2. Re: external IP monitor app

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:30:21 +0000, provita wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external
    > ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's
    > utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I
    > desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the only thing
    > stopping me is my inability to find an ip monitor for Linux.

    If you connect directly from your server to the internet, just use
    ifconfig. Otherwise I'd try something like lynx -dump www.whatismyip.com.
    In either case, take the output, redirect to a file, then ftp it to where
    you need it to go.

    --
    Ian Merrithew - ADM Systems Engineering
    ian.merrithew "at" ieee.org

  3. Re: external IP monitor app

    Ian Merrithew wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:30:21 +0000, provita wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone recommend a small app that keeps track of my lan's external
    >>ip? My server is currently running MS Server2k3 and I use Barefoot's
    >>utility: http://www.barefootinc.com/ipmonitor.htm (works great) I
    >>desperately want to put Mandrake on this machine, and the only thing
    >>stopping me is my inability to find an ip monitor for Linux.

    > If you connect directly from your server to the internet, just use
    > ifconfig. Otherwise I'd try something like lynx -dump www.whatismyip.com.
    > In either case, take the output, redirect to a file, then ftp it to where
    > you need it to go.

    Oooooh....I like the "whatismyip.com" idea.... would never have occured
    to me. Elegant, too. I'm behind a NAT router so ifconfig wouldn't
    work, correct? (I am extreme newb)

    Thanks again,

    Greg

  4. Re: external IP monitor app

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 00:34:39 +0000, provita wrote:

    > Oooooh....I like the "whatismyip.com" idea.... would never have occured
    > to me. Elegant, too. I'm behind a NAT router so ifconfig wouldn't
    > work, correct? (I am extreme newb)

    Yeah, being behind a router means ifconfig won't work; it'll just report
    the IP address your computer gets from the router (likely 192.168.x.x).

    The weakness of that "whatismyip.com" idea is that if your internet
    connection or that site is down, it won't work. Of course, in the case of
    the former, you're screwed anyway . There's probably a better way of
    doing it (I'm certainly no *nix guru), but that ought to work for your
    purposes.

    --
    Ian Merrithew - ADM Systems Engineering
    ian.merrithew "at" ieee.org

  5. Re: external IP monitor app

    Would a dynamic ip client not be the easiest way to do this? Something like
    dyndns.org or noip.net? That way you can just ssh or ftp to
    blahblahblah.dyndns.org and not have to worry about knowing your ip
    address.

    Just a thought.

    Terry

    --
    pub 1024D/1A791AD5 2002-10-26 Terry Soucy (X-Phile)

    PGP Key Fingerprint : DD46 C49C 6352 C7B0 15EE 5024 6851 22FF 1A79 1AD5
    http://www.cryptophiles.net/x-phile/

+ Reply to Thread