leafnode - domain name error on install - help needed - Questions

This is a discussion on leafnode - domain name error on install - help needed - Questions ; I have just tried to install leafnode on one of my machines. During install an error occured: Leafnode must have a fully-qualified and globally unique domain name, not just "charon". Why can't I use the name "charon"? The name charon ...

  1. leafnode - domain name error on install - help needed

    I have just tried to install leafnode on one of my machines. During install
    an error occured:

    Leafnode must have a fully-qualified and globally unique domain name,
    not just "charon".

    Why can't I use the name "charon"?

    The name charon is the unique name for this machine on my network.

    /etc/hostname contains the entry "charon" on this machine.
    /etc/hosts on all machines contains the entry: 10.0.0.11 charon.

    I do not wish to change the name "charon", and I still wish to refer to the
    machine as "charon" in all instances. I also wish for system messages from this
    machine to be labelled as coming from "charon".

    How do I fix leafnode without messing up my network or other software ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: leafnode - domain name error on install - help needed

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > I have just tried to install leafnode on one of my machines. During install
    > an error occured:

    > Leafnode must have a fully-qualified and globally unique domain name,
    > not just "charon".

    > Why can't I use the name "charon"?

    Because it doesn't have a resolvable domain name part.

    > The name charon is the unique name for this machine on my network.

    But not in the world's. Try again.

    > /etc/hostname contains the entry "charon" on this machine.

    Then it is deficient. You need to resolve to a domain.

    > /etc/hosts on all machines contains the entry: 10.0.0.11 charon.

    Then they are deficient.

    > I do not wish to change the name "charon", and I still wish to refer to the

    There is no need to change the name.

    > machine as "charon" in all instances. I also wish for system messages from this

    There is no need to change the name.

    > machine to be labelled as coming from "charon".

    They'll be named charon.

    > How do I fix leafnode without messing up my network or other software ?

    You fix your messed up networking. The hostname of the machine should
    be "charon". The /etc/hosts file must contain an entry

    10.0.0.1 charon.me.mine charon

    Or whatever.

    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

    You can help yourself.

    Peter

  3. Re: leafnode - domain name error on install - help needed

    P.T. Breuer wrote:
    > be "charon". The /etc/hosts file must contain an entry
    >
    > 10.0.0.1 charon.me.mine charon

    Ok, its working.

    You have helped me once again. Thanks Peter.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

+ Reply to Thread