Please help: FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61 - Questions

This is a discussion on Please help: FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61 - Questions ; I recently aquired a Sun Ultra 5 which was in installed with a fresh install of Red Hat 6.2 (largely as it's one of the few flavours/versions of Linux that support Sparc) The problem is when i type "startx" I ...

  1. Please help: FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61

    I recently aquired a Sun Ultra 5 which was in installed with a fresh
    install of Red Hat 6.2 (largely as it's one of the few
    flavours/versions of Linux that support Sparc)

    The problem is when i type "startx" I cannot get the GUI to start. I
    get the following messages:

    FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
    failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
    Fatal Server Error:
    could not open default font 'fixed'
    connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

    My /etc/X11/XF86Config includes:

    Font path=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
    Font path=unix/:-1

    However I have put a "#" before
    "Font path=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" as I don't have that
    directory

    The font directories I do have are

    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX"
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings"

    When booting up the X Font Server it says it's started OK
    When I halt the machine I get X Font Server [FAILED]

    boot.log says "xfs startup suceeded"

    I have XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X window system
    Linux 2.2.14-1.1.0 Sparc [ELF]

    It seems permutations on the errors I get are quite common yet I don't
    seem to be able to find the solution to this problem. Any help in
    resolving this problem would be most appreciated.

    Thanks

    Lester

  2. Re: Please help: FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:28:29 +0100, Lester
    wrote:

    >I recently aquired a Sun Ultra 5 which was in installed with a fresh
    >install of Red Hat 6.2 (largely as it's one of the few
    >flavours/versions of Linux that support Sparc)
    >
    >The problem is when i type "startx" I cannot get the GUI to start. I
    >get the following messages:
    >
    >FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61
    >failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
    >Fatal Server Error:
    >could not open default font 'fixed'
    >connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
    >

    >My /etc/X11/XF86Config includes:
    >
    >Font path=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
    >Font path=unix/:-1
    >
    >However I have put a "#" before
    >"Font path=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType" as I don't have that
    >directory
    >
    >The font directories I do have are
    >
    >"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    > "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    > "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    > "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    > "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX"
    > "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings"
    >

    >When booting up the X Font Server it says it's started OK
    >When I halt the machine I get X Font Server [FAILED]
    >
    >boot.log says "xfs startup suceeded"
    >

    >I have XFree86 Version 3.3.6 / X window system
    >Linux 2.2.14-1.1.0 Sparc [ELF]
    >

    >It seems permutations on the errors I get are quite common yet I don't
    >seem to be able to find the solution to this problem. Any help in
    >resolving this problem would be most appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Lester

    Cracked it. Needed to run 'mkfontdir' in each font directory.

+ Reply to Thread