FAT support in 2.6.x kernels - Questions

This is a discussion on FAT support in 2.6.x kernels - Questions ; Hi! I'm running Debian Sarge with customly compiled kernel 2.6.8.1. However although i add: MSDOS fs support VFAT (Windows-95) fs support as modules, whenever i try to mount my FAT partitions it says: Kernel doesn't support VFAT. I read the ...

  1. FAT support in 2.6.x kernels

    Hi!
    I'm running Debian Sarge with customly compiled kernel 2.6.8.1.
    However although i add:

    MSDOS fs support
    VFAT (Windows-95) fs support

    as modules, whenever i try to mount my FAT partitions it says:
    Kernel doesn't support VFAT.

    I read the help of those tho options and it says:
    "This will only work if you said Y to DOS FAT fs support as well", however
    i couldn't find where this options is.

    Any help is appreciated!

  2. Re: FAT support in 2.6.x kernels

    Yordan Pavlov wrote:

    > "This will only work if you said Y to DOS FAT fs support as well", however
    > i couldn't find where this options is.

    .... it's the "parent" option for the:
    MSDOS fs support
    VFAT (Windows-95) fs support

    options. in order to select those two options,
    you have to select "DOS FAT fs support"
    ..
    No dude, I'd be scared too, you're mom is a ****ing bitch.
    Don't call my mom a bitch, you fat ****!
    Don't call me fat you butt****ing son of a bitch.

  3. Re: FAT support in 2.6.x kernels

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:49:18 -0700, Yordan Pavlov wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I'm running Debian Sarge with customly compiled kernel 2.6.8.1. However
    > although i add:
    >
    > MSDOS fs support
    > VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
    >
    > as modules, whenever i try to mount my FAT partitions it says: Kernel
    > doesn't support VFAT.
    >
    > I read the help of those tho options and it says: "This will only work if
    > you said Y to DOS FAT fs support as well", however i couldn't find where
    > this options is.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!

    This drives me crazy too. You installed a precompiled kernel. Of course
    you have vfat support, but you have not loaded the module. Most of the
    READMEs, etc., are for the guy who already compiled your kernel for
    debian. You want to run modconf on it. $ man modconf. daveA

    --
    Paying more at the gas pump? Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
    Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,

+ Reply to Thread