New to Linux - Questions

This is a discussion on New to Linux - Questions ; Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD. I would like to put Linux on this and would like to know how to ...

  1. New to Linux

    Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it
    has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD. I would like to put
    Linux on this and would like to know how to get this free OS. It's
    free right? Or should I get a Linux for dummies book with a DVD at
    the bookstore? I was trying to clean install the notbook but I guess
    working with upgrade disks is a pain since I need a previous version.
    I don't have the windows 98 disk so I formated for nothing so far.
    The notebook is also too old for my full install windows xp. So I
    heard about Linux but there is so much crap in the search engine I
    don't know where to begin.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: New to Linux

    On 8 Sep 2004 17:37:13 -0700, Vile wrote:
    > Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it
    > has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD.

    Need more memory for most of the current desktops. You will have to
    find a small memory footprint desktop. Otherwise you will have just
    command line.

    > So I heard about Linux but there is so much crap in the search
    > engine I don't know where to begin.

    Yeah, 190+ flavors of linux, I understand.
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    32 meg ram in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,920 English messages for 32 meg ram
    group:*linux*. (1.36 seconds)

  3. Re: New to Linux

    Vile said the following, on 09/08/04 20:37:
    > Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it
    > has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD. I would like to put
    > Linux on this and would like to know how to get this free OS.

    A good, and comprehensive, overview of available Linux distributions
    (distros) is available at:

    Any distro includes the Linux kernel. (There are different versions of
    the kernel, as with any software; current kernel versions are 2.4.x or
    2.6.x). Many distros allow you to download the whole thing for free.

    I'm a little puzzled, and skeptical, about the machine specs you are
    quoting. For Windows 98, 32 MB of RAM would be _very_ tight, IMO; the
    machine on which I'm writing this (a COMPAQ Presario, 500 MHz Pentium)
    originally came with Windows 98 and 96 MB of RAM, and it ran like a
    3-legged pig with Win 98 until I upgraded the RAM to 192 MB. It runs
    Debian Linux (2.4 kernel) with KDE 3.2 better than it ever ran Windows
    98. In any case, I recommend looking into adding RAM; with almost any
    OS / machine combination that is typically sold at retail, it is easily
    the most cost-effective way to improve performance.

    Obviously, no one here has any magic way of discovering your machine's
    configuration. So you need to check that out and let us know.

    > It's
    > free right? Or should I get a Linux for dummies book with a DVD at
    > the bookstore? I was trying to clean install the notbook but I guess
    > working with upgrade disks is a pain since I need a previous version.
    > I don't have the windows 98 disk so I formated for nothing so far.
    > The notebook is also too old for my full install windows xp.

    The Linux kernel, and much of the software in most distros, is
    distributed under the General Public License [GPL]. This license is
    designed to be "free as in free speech", but as a practical matter
    almost all is also "free as in free beer". For more on this question.
    have a look at :

    If what you have told us about the machine specs is correct, there is no
    way on this planet that it will run Windows XP. Getting a basic book
    is, I think, a pretty good idea; if you have a convenient local public
    library, you can probably have a look at a couple before deciding on one.

    If you need specific advice on books, please post further with what
    you're looking for.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    rgibbs@alumni.princeton.edu

  4. Re: New to Linux

    vile5@comcast.net (Vile) wrote in message news:...
    > Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it
    > has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD. I would like to put
    > Linux on this and would like to know how to get this free OS. It's
    > free right? Or should I get a Linux for dummies book with a DVD at
    > the bookstore? I was trying to clean install the notbook but I guess
    > working with upgrade disks is a pain since I need a previous version.
    > I don't have the windows 98 disk so I formated for nothing so far.
    > The notebook is also too old for my full install windows xp. So I
    > heard about Linux but there is so much crap in the search engine I
    > don't know where to begin.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I also want to add since asked its a Compaq Presario 1235, not sure
    about any other config settings...but like I said it had wins 98, but
    now after looking around for a full install disk for wins 98, I am not
    sure which verison of 98 it has seeing that there is a 2nd ed. My
    friend who gave me the notebook does not know either.

    Keep in mind I only need this computer for e-mail, internet use and
    for using word with printing. Maybe something with a good video
    player for vid clips from sites also.

    I will check those links already posted, but later, have to go to work
    and wanted to add this.

  5. Re: New to Linux

    Vile wrote:

    > Ok I have a Compaq Presario that was running windows 98. I believe it
    > has 32megs of ram and about 4 gigs for a HD. I would like to put
    > Linux on this and would like to know how to get this free OS. It's
    > free right? Or should I get a Linux for dummies book with a DVD at
    > the bookstore? I was trying to clean install the notbook but I guess
    > working with upgrade disks is a pain since I need a previous version.
    > I don't have the windows 98 disk so I formated for nothing so far.
    > The notebook is also too old for my full install windows xp. So I
    > heard about Linux but there is so much crap in the search engine I
    > don't know where to begin.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Need more RAM - cheap enough to get these days - 128Mb about $10-$20.
    Otherwise restricted to something like damn small linux liveCD.
    After installing RAM, you can run something like KnoppixLiveCD
    from CD and see it all working without installing. If laptop
    can't boot from CD, then create boot disks from CD and then
    try it.

+ Reply to Thread