About "man" help page - Questions

This is a discussion on About "man" help page - Questions ; When you type "man commandname", you will see the documenation for that command. I can see in the document pages some text is shown in blue and some is shown with underline. Is there anything special with that? Are those ...

  1. About "man" help page

    When you type "man commandname", you will see the documenation for
    that command. I can see in the document pages some text is shown in
    blue and some is shown with underline. Is there anything special with
    that? Are those supposed to be clickable hyperlinks?

    My question is,

    Is there any command other than man which can display the
    documentation in a way like a html page?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: About "man" help page

    On 7 Sep 2004 23:16:23 -0700, Steve Anderson wrote:
    > When you type "man commandname", you will see the documenation for
    > that command. I can see in the document pages some text is shown in
    > blue and some is shown with underline. Is there anything special with
    > that?

    Yes, blue is command.

    > Are those supposed to be clickable hyperlinks?

    No, Underlines are not links.

    > My question is,
    >
    > Is there any command other than man which can display the
    > documentation in a way like a html page?

    closest thing I can think of is xman, but that is not hyper link/html

  3. Re: About "man" help page

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:16:23 -0700, Steve Anderson wrote:

    > When you type "man commandname", you will see the documenation for that
    > command. I can see in the document pages some text is shown in blue and
    > some is shown with underline. Is there anything special with that? Are
    > those supposed to be clickable hyperlinks?
    >
    > My question is,
    >
    > Is there any command other than man which can display the documentation
    > in a way like a html page?

    "info" has links, but info format is not html. When formatted as a man
    page, there is more on the page, while info tends to smaller pages with
    links. The man page, being larger, is better for
    searching. Type "/".

    try dhelp for html. daveA

    --
    Paying more at the gas pump? Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
    Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,

  4. Re: About "man" help page

    In article ,
    Steve Anderson wrote:
    >When you type "man commandname", you will see the documenation for
    >that command. I can see in the document pages some text is shown in
    >blue and some is shown with underline. Is there anything special with
    >that?

    Yes. They are trying to emphasize those words. See the man page for 'man'

    >Are those supposed to be clickable hyperlinks?

    No

    >Is there any command other than man which can display the
    >documentation in a way like a html page?

    I vaguely recall that there is some GUI, but man pages are not _written_
    in HTML, so a browser would be useless. There are web pages on the
    Internet that _contain_ man pages, but whether these pertain to your
    distribution or release is another question entirely.

    Remember than man pages were introduced when dinosaurs walked the earth,
    and people lived by the command line, which is to say 'a long time before
    the "web" was invented'. There are also 'info' pages (try the command
    'info info') which will display the GNU Info pages (as well as man pages).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread