Use RPM - Questions

This is a discussion on Use RPM - Questions ; Hello there! I just started using Fedora Core 2. I am attempting to install a .rpm program so i can read my NTFS hard drive, however I am unsure of which command to run to install it, and when i ...

  1. Use RPM

    Hello there! I just started using Fedora Core 2. I am attempting to
    install a .rpm program so i can read my NTFS hard drive, however I am
    unsure of which command to run to install it, and when i double-click the
    file, it asks me to associate it with a program, which I also do not
    know.

    Could someone please give me an idea on how to use these. Thanks!

  2. Re: Use RPM

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:56:28 -0700, xardis wrote:

    > Hello there! I just started using Fedora Core 2. I am attempting to
    > install a .rpm program so i can read my NTFS hard drive, however I am
    > unsure of which command to run to install it, and when i double-click the
    > file, it asks me to associate it with a program, which I also do not
    > know.
    >
    > Could someone please give me an idea on how to use these. Thanks!

    Since you did not specify which GUI you are running;

    From the console or xterm session where the rpm is located type something
    like; rpm -Uvh the_name_of_the_rpm

    For more help read both; 'man rpm' and 'man su' without the quotes.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products where used in creating me!

  3. Re: Use RPM

    xardis wrote in message news:...
    > Hello there! I just started using Fedora Core 2. I am attempting to
    > install a .rpm program so i can read my NTFS hard drive, however I am
    > unsure of which command to run to install it, and when i double-click the
    > file, it asks me to associate it with a program, which I also do not
    > know.

    You better get used to command line (it's easy when you just get the
    grip).
    1.Open a terminal window (should be under the menu-> system tools->
    terminal) or press CTRL-ALT-[F1-F6] (and login as yourself).
    2.Type "su -" -> press enter (this will make you root)
    3.Enter the root pwd -> press enter
    4."cd /where/my/rpm/is" -> press enter
    5."rpm -Uvh myrpm.rpm" -> press enter
    6.If rpm gave no errors, you should be able to run it.

    Note: rpm is the program that installs and removes
    installation-packages (rpms).
    -Uvh = Update (or install if an older package is not installed) verbos
    (show some info) hash (show status of job).

    GUI: Synaptic or Yumi
    Synaptic is a front-end for apt (an automatic downloader/installer).
    Some good documentation + package + configuration can be found here:
    http://freshrpms.net/packages/

+ Reply to Thread