Help with display settings - Questions

This is a discussion on Help with display settings - Questions ; I just installed Debian Linux. It seemed like it was going to work, but when it loads X windows, I see 4 of everything. I think I picked the wrong display settings (800x600 @ 75Hz), and I was wondering if ...

  1. Help with display settings

    I just installed Debian Linux. It seemed like it was going to work,
    but when it loads X windows, I see 4 of everything. I think I picked
    the wrong display settings (800x600 @ 75Hz), and I was wondering if I
    could change them, and how. I found something in the control center
    that tells me the display settings, but did not see a way to change
    them. Please give me any advice you can. Is there a "change
    settings" button that I just haven't noticed?

  2. Re: Help with display settings

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 09:38:20 -0700, Joel wrote:

    > I just installed Debian Linux. It seemed like it was going to work, but
    > when it loads X windows, I see 4 of everything. I think I picked the
    > wrong display settings (800x600 @ 75Hz), and I was wondering if I could
    > change them, and how. I found something in the control center that
    > tells me the display settings, but did not see a way to change them.
    > Please give me any advice you can. Is there a "change settings" button
    > that I just haven't noticed?

    Um, given that it's Debian, which is really aimed at power users, you are
    probably required to edit your XF86Config file by hand (man XF86Config).
    If you're not comfortable with this, I recommend switching to a less
    masochistic (OK, that's gonna touch some nerves) distribution, such as
    Mandrake or SuSe. I really strongly urge newbies to stay well clear of
    Debian, unless they enjoy the steep learning curve. I believe that SuSe
    9.1 gives you a nice display settings panel...

    Most displays should handle 800x600@75 without trouble... Are you using a
    notebook/LCD display, or perhaps an old "junk" monitor?

+ Reply to Thread