How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ? - Questions

This is a discussion on How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ? - Questions ; How to find which Linux distribution running ? Is there any command similar to "uname -a" to tell me the Linux distribution ?...

  1. How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ?

    How to find which Linux distribution running ?
    Is there any command similar to "uname -a" to tell me the Linux distribution
    ?

  2. Re: How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like"uname -a" ?

  3. Re: How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ?

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:44:21 +1000, wrote:
    > How to find which Linux distribution running ?
    > Is there any command similar to "uname -a" to tell me the Linux distribution

    Can depend on distribution.
    cat /proc/version gives *kernel* information, but watchout if it
    is a custom compile.

    Redhat/Mandrake cat /etc/*release*
    Slackware/Slackintosh cat etc/*version*

    for the rest go here
    and in the first box, put
    echo Caldera Base Version - /var/lib/LST/BASEVERSION:
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

  4. Re: How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Caldera

    .... SHAME ON YOU << shaking fist >>
    The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
    -- Albert Einstein

  5. Re: How to find which Linux distribution running ? Any command like "uname -a" ?

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 13:44:21 +1000, Karl wrote:

    > How to find which Linux distribution running ? Is there any command
    > similar to "uname -a" to tell me the Linux distribution ?

    Look in /etc for "release" or "version" in a filename, like
    debian_version?

    --
    Paying more at the gas pump? Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
    Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,

+ Reply to Thread