Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux? - Questions ; Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link, 3COM , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network adapter that have linux drivers. I'm hoping that maybe I've missed one or perhaps another ...

  1. Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux?

    Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link, 3COM
    , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network adapter that
    have linux drivers.

    I'm hoping that maybe I've missed one or perhaps another company may offer
    one. If you know of such a card please reply with manufactureur and model
    #.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux?

    Rational One wrote:

    > Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link, 3COM
    > , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network adapter that
    > have linux drivers.

    .... no, but there ARE open source drivers written
    by people not associated with the companies
    The fact that boys are allowed to exist at all is evidence of a remarkable
    Christian forbearance among men. - Ambrose Bierce

  3. Re: Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux?

    Rational One wrote:

    > Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link,
    > 3COM , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network
    > adapter that have linux drivers.

    The vendors do not need to distribute drivers since most cards have chipsets
    already supported by Linux.

    Just about any 802.11b card will work fine. 802.11g cards will require you
    to download the 802.11g drivers for some Linux distributions (but I believe
    in something like Mandrake 10, they are already there).

    I wouldn't expect a vendor to supply a driver unless they used a strange
    chipset not already supported.

    --
    remove .nospam from e-mail address to reply

  4. Re: Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux?

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:36:55 -0230, Rational One wrote:

    > Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link, 3COM
    > , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network adapter that
    > have linux drivers.
    >
    > I'm hoping that maybe I've missed one or perhaps another company may offer
    > one. If you know of such a card please reply with manufactureur and model
    > #.
    >
    > Thanks

    Take a look at the ASUS WL-330G. It is a "self-contained" combination
    wireless access point/wireless adapter. I am using it as an adapter on a
    dual-booted Windows XP/Mandrake 9.2 box on my home wireless network. It
    connects to the workstation with a normal Ethernet networking cable, and
    to the workstation, it just looks like a network connection. Getting it to
    work was a piece of cake: configure it with the included Windows software
    (not drivers), reboot under Linux and you're connected. It also includes a
    Web-based configuration capability that IMHO is actually better than the
    Windows configuration app. You should be able to use that on boxes running
    just Linux.

    It is one of the slickest little pieces of hardware I've ever seen!

    --
    Ron Stewart

  5. Re: Are there any wireless network adapters out there that run under linux?

    Ron Stewart wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:36:55 -0230, Rational One wrote:
    >
    >> Have checked most of the major manufactureurs such as Linksys, D-link,
    >> 3COM , SMC and so and it seems that none offer any wireless network
    >> adapter that have linux drivers.
    >>
    >> I'm hoping that maybe I've missed one or perhaps another company may
    >> offer
    >> one. If you know of such a card please reply with manufactureur and
    >> model
    >> #.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Take a look at the ASUS WL-330G. It is a "self-contained" combination
    > wireless access point/wireless adapter. I am using it as an adapter on a
    > dual-booted Windows XP/Mandrake 9.2 box on my home wireless network. It
    > connects to the workstation with a normal Ethernet networking cable, and
    > to the workstation, it just looks like a network connection. Getting it to
    > work was a piece of cake: configure it with the included Windows software
    > (not drivers), reboot under Linux and you're connected. It also includes a
    > Web-based configuration capability that IMHO is actually better than the
    > Windows configuration app. You should be able to use that on boxes running
    > just Linux.
    >
    > It is one of the slickest little pieces of hardware I've ever seen!

    Does Kismet work with the WL-330G?

    Roby

+ Reply to Thread