I'm having trouble sharing/setting up my Canon LPB-1000 on my Linux
box. I would like to share it so that I can print from my 2 Windows XP
Pro boxes. I've read a bunch of guides (Samba guides etc.) and still
no luck. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on how to achieve the
above?

I have the following installed:

From SuSE Linux Standard Server 8.1 packages:

cups-client 1.1.15
cups-libs 1.1.15
cups-drivers 1.1.15
cups-drivers-stp 1.1.15
cups 1.1.15

YAST2 printer configuration seems ok as test page is correctly
printed.

Samba 3.0.6 (compiled from source, not installed from SuSE packages)
../configure --prefix=/opt/samba3 etc.

My smb.conf is as follows ([shares] share works ok):

[global]
workgroup = XXX
valid users = user1, user2, user3
encrypt passwords = yes
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
load printers = Yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[shares]
path = /local/shares
writable = Yes
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 0770
comment = Shared files

[canon]
path = /var/spool/cups/tmp
browseable = no
public = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes
printer admin = user1
comment = Canon LPB-1000

I'm able to find (happens VERY slowly) and setup printer on XP
(installing Canon LPB-1000 Windows XP driver), but any printing always
hungs up/freezes the computer. I do have SuSE firewall but printing is
taking place via samba ports, isn't it (which are open in LAN, tried
also port 631 but doesn't work)? So it should work?

What did I miss?

Thanks in advance.
- yallu