Linux Admin help. - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux Admin help. - Questions ; Hi all, I am currently working as an Oracle DBA. I use Unix a lot, although I have not done System Administration. I am a learner when it comes to the System admin concepts. I am interested in learning Linux ...

  1. Linux Admin help.

    Hi all,

    I am currently working as an Oracle DBA. I use Unix a lot, although
    I have not done System Administration. I am a learner when it comes to
    the System admin concepts.

    I am interested in learning Linux from a Linux System Admin
    perspective as well as for installing and running Oracle on Linux
    servers.

    Can someone please recommend book(s)/resources for me to start off?

    Thanks,
    RC

  2. Re: Linux Admin help.

    In article <8facc7f7.0408252213.5a7915e3@posting.google.com>, RC wrote:
    > I am currently working as an Oracle DBA. I use Unix a lot, although
    >I have not done System Administration. I am a learner when it comes to
    >the System admin concepts.

    In that case, I'm sure that the publisher "O'Reilly and Associates" is
    reasonably well known. If not, try hitting http://www.ora.com/ and
    then try to hang onto your budget. My wife won't let me go into a book
    store that stocks O'Reilly stuff - she claims I spend to much. Really!!!
    There's only 11 O'Reilly (of 16) books on the desk in between the
    monitors. I don't know where she gets this idea ;-)

    > I am interested in learning Linux from a Linux System Admin
    >perspective

    As with any task, you start at the beginning - meaning that you get
    familiar as a user. _THEN_ you make the step up to admin stuff. Here's
    more to read:

    http://tldp.org/guides.html

    There's like twentyeight books you can downloadm including the rather
    dated system-admin-guide and users-guide and a Hell of a lot more.

    ../docs/linux-doc-project/system-admin-guide:
    total 1124
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 153 Dec 5 2003 README
    drwxrwxr-x 2 gferg ldp 4096 Dec 5 2003 older_versions
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 152645 Dec 5 2003 sag.html.tar.gz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 150769 Dec 5 2003 sag.pdb
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 333669 Dec 5 2003 sag.pdf
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 163705 Dec 5 2003 sag.ps.gz
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 309903 Dec 5 2003 sag.txt
    drwxrwsr-x 5 gferg ldp 4096 Mar 8 1999 translations

    >as well as for installing and running Oracle on Linux servers.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 36931 Jul 21 2003 Oracle-7-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 49235 Jul 19 2003 Oracle-8-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 42923 Jul 3 2003
    Oracle-9i-RH8-and-RH9-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 15085 Jul 23 2002 Oracle8-on-RH7X-HOWTO

    > Can someone please recommend book(s)/resources for me to start off?

    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    About 480 documents, totalling over 3.9 million words - the equivalent
    of roughly 11,800 pages of text.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Linux Admin help.

    "RC" wrote in message
    news:8facc7f7.0408252213.5a7915e3@posting.google.c om...
    > Can someone please recommend book(s)/resources for me to start off?

    A really good "big picture" book is O'Reilly's "Essential System
    Administration". You'll get an overview of lots of things like security,
    printing, filesystems, user accounts. I was a Solaris administrator for
    about 10 years and recently moved to linux admin... the principles are
    identical in most cases. The differences in the various unix/linux OS's are
    more in the details than the concepts. For example, with Solaris you NEVER
    recompile the kernel, with linux I've already built a half-dozen custom
    kernels. Read the O'Reilly book, then there are other linux-specific books
    depending on what you want to learn.

    DAve

+ Reply to Thread