I am new to all the bluetooth stuff so I appologize if
my question is a bit basic; however, I am sure that a
thorough answer will help lots of people. My question
regards setting up the bluez package and a
misconception regarding the bluetooth stack.

A search on my machine for 'bluez' turns up
---------------------begin search
[root@localhost bluez-firmware-1.0]# find / -name
---------------------end search

You will notice(on the last line) that the bluez
module is installed only for the 2.4.20-8(redhat 9)
kernel and not my 2.6.7 kernel.

So I went ahead and downloaded

The bluez site says that the minimum is to install
bluez-libs and bluez-utils. I installed those and
recompiled my kernel(2.6.7). From the listing above
you will see that the new kernel does not have the
bluez module. The README file in the bluez-firmware
directory reads,

In order to install Bluetooth firmware you need
following software packages:
- Linux Bluetooth protocol stack (BlueZ)

So where is this bluetooth protocol stack? I assume
it is in either bluez-libs or bluez-utils. In my
kernel configuration options, I do not see a Bluez
bluetooth module, the closest thing is BlueFritz.
What option should I use and/or how do I add it to the

Perhaps a kernel patch will do the trick. I
downloaded kernel from www.kernel.org and
applied patch 'patch-2.6.8-mh1.gz' from the
bluez.sourceforge.net site. Although the patch went
just fine I can see that there are no BLUEZxyz options
like there are in the 2.4.20-8 kernel config file.
How in the world do I add these options to my new
kernel? I have read a lot about USB and Bluetooth to
the point that I am getting confused. Anyone with
clear insight as to how things work or instructions on
setting up BLUEZ please respond. Thank you in