(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found) - Questions

This is a discussion on (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found) - Questions ; Okay - so I am a raw newbie. After 10 years of Microsoft crashes and one year of SO nagging, I decided to take the plunge, 86 the XP dual boot and go pure Linux. I'm using Red Hat 9.0, ...

  1. (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

    Okay - so I am a raw newbie. After 10 years of Microsoft crashes and
    one year of SO nagging, I decided to take the plunge, 86 the XP dual
    boot and go pure Linux.
    I'm using Red Hat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20-6. I am using NVidia driver
    download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run
    I have run the file in vga mode twice - then edited the X68Config
    according to specs given in the read me file. After rebooting, I try
    to start X and get booted back to a prompt.
    The following error is seen in XFree86.0.log:

    (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

    Fortunately, I had kept a backup copy of the XFree86Config file and
    was able to go back to it.

    Help me, Obi Wan - I don't want to go back to XP hell just to be able
    to unwind with my favorite games.

    Here's the whole section:

    (==) NV(0): Write-combining range (0xd0000000,0x8000000)
    (II) NV(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
    Screen to screen bit blits
    Solid filled rectangles
    8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
    Solid Lines
    Offscreen Pixmaps
    Setting up tile and stipple cache:
    32 128x128 slots
    32 256x256 slots
    16 512x512 slots
    (==) NV(0): Backing store disabled
    (==) NV(0): Silken mouse enabled
    (**) Option "dpms"
    (**) NV(0): DPMS enabled
    (==) RandR enabled
    Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
    Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
    (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    (II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

  2. Re: (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:40:27 -0700, IQTech wrote:

    > I'm using Red Hat 9.0, kernel 2.4.20-6. I am using NVidia driver download
    > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run I have run the file in vga mode twice -
    > then edited the X68Config according to specs given in the read me file.
    > After rebooting, I try to start X and get booted back to a prompt. The
    > following error is seen in XFree86.0.log:
    >
    > (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

    Usually, you need to update two packages at once for NVIDIA: the kernel
    module (which you seem to have installed correctly) and the GLX libraries.
    Look for the NVIDIA GLX package that matches your kernel module. Follow
    the install instructions and your errors should go away.

    Cheers,
    Minderbinder.

+ Reply to Thread