unix terminal emulation from linux - Questions

This is a discussion on unix terminal emulation from linux - Questions ; I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had ...

  1. unix terminal emulation from linux

    I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    could i do without exceed?

  2. Re: unix terminal emulation from linux

    stuart m wrote:

    > I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    > on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    > solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    > could i do without exceed?

    Stuart,

    I have no solaris experience but I'm certain the answer is yes
    linux has a complete x-server, or you could use vnc from linux

    Dave

  3. Re: unix terminal emulation from linux

    stuart m wrote:

    > I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    > on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    > solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    > could i do without exceed?

    I hope this is what you want....
    Download Knoppix LiveCD www.knoppix.net and boot up PC from this CD
    and then connect using using tightVNC or remote desktop to Solaris machine
    running tightVNC compiled for Solaris. You can also run secure shell server
    (ssh) and log into Solaris for an X-session.. though I haven't done that
    to know enough about it.

  4. Re: unix terminal emulation from linux

    "stuart m" wrote in message
    news:ac365ac3.0408180536.109510ce@posting.google.c om...
    > I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    > on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    > solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    > could i do without exceed?

    If both machines are running X, no problem. Log in to the Solaris machine
    remotely, set your DISPLAY variable to the linux machine, and start X. You
    may have to enable remote X sessions via xhost on the linux box.

    Like so:

    linux% xhost +solaris
    linux% rsh solaris
    solaris% setenv DISPLAY linux:0.0 # or "DISPLAY=linux:0.0; export" for
    bourne shell
    solaris% /usr/X11R6/bin/X

    I think you can probably give hostname:display as a parameter to X so you
    can omit setting the DISPLAY variable, look at your manpages.

    Play around with it... you'll figure it out. I know it can be done as I've
    done it before but I no longer administer Solaris machines and I've
    forgotten the exact steps.... going the other way is even easier if you use
    Sun's login manager. Just choose log in to remote host from the dropdown
    box and plug in the name of the linux host. You'll still need to use xhost
    to open up access for the linux box.

    dave

  5. Re: unix terminal emulation from linux

    stuart m wrote:
    >I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    >on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    >solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    >could i do without exceed?

    You can get a complete login as if you were in front of the Sun
    box with something like this: $ X -query sunhost
    provided of course that XDMCP is enabled.

    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    ericAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

  6. Re: unix terminal emulation from linux

    stuart m wrote:
    > I have always used exceed or vnc to get a terminal emulation of unix
    > on a windows machine. Can you get a full terminal emualtion of a
    > solaris screen on linux using it's built it xserver? ie if i had linux
    > could i do without exceed?

    Yeah, sure. Hummingbird wrote Exceed because
    Windows didn't have X. Linux is like all the other
    UNIX-y systems; it's got X, so you don't need Exceed,
    anymore than you need Exceed on Solaris or AIX.

    Duke

+ Reply to Thread