login fails to source ~/.tcshrc under xterm - Questions

This is a discussion on login fails to source ~/.tcshrc under xterm - Questions ; Hi All, First off, I'll apologize for crossposting. I never do that, but I am unsure which group will answer this question best. I have some servers with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1. Agetty starting login with the terminal type ...

  1. login fails to source ~/.tcshrc under xterm

    Hi All,
    First off, I'll apologize for crossposting. I never do that, but
    I am unsure which group will answer this question best.
    I have some servers with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1. Agetty
    starting login with the terminal type "xterm" and the user has
    starting shell /usr/tcsh...
    The problem I currently have is this: the login process is reading
    /etc/csh.login and /etc/csh.cshrc BUT IS NOT reading ~/.tcshrc OR
    ~/.cshrc. How can I beat this machine into submission?

    Your buddy,
    Andy

  2. Re: login fails to source ~/.tcshrc under xterm

    andy314159pi@yahoo.com (Andy Y) wrote in message news:...
    > The problem I currently have is this: the login process is reading
    > /etc/csh.login and /etc/csh.cshrc BUT IS NOT reading ~/.tcshrc OR
    > ~/.cshrc. How can I beat this machine into submission?

    are they available to the user? Who owns them, what are the
    permissions?

    Curious item from man tcsh
    -m The shell loads ~/.tcshrc even if it does not belong
    to the effective user. Newer versions of su(1) can
    pass -m to the shell. (+)

    I've not quite got my head round that - but it does make it worth
    checking the ownership andpermissions of those files.

    what happens if you try source ~/.tcshrc ? Are the commands
    executed OK?

    does ~ point to the right place? (echo $HOME) (cd ~/ ; pwd)

    How up to date is your shell? .tcshrc support was added late in the
    development cycle (but probably still about 10 years ago). It's said
    to be possible to compile the shell for a different execution order,
    perhaps yours is compiled not to do these files at all? I've worked
    with shells that skip the files in ~ if the ones in /etc/ exist.
    Especially if there is an 'exit' in the /etc/ ones.

    If that's the case you could code in support at the end of the /etc/
    files, something like
    if ( -e ~/.tcshrc ) then
    source ~/.tcshrc
    endif

  3. Re: login fails to source ~/.tcshrc under xterm

    Hello comp.os.linux.admin,questions,readhat...,

    Robert Harvey Rules All!

    Thanks for this fix!

    Now remote processes on our cluster can pick up the correct environment variables.

    -Very grateful Andy

    robertharvey@my-deja.com (Robert E A Harvey) wrote in message
    > andy314159pi@yahoo.com (Andy Y) wrote in message
    > > The problem I currently have is this: the login process is reading
    > > /etc/csh.login and /etc/csh.cshrc BUT IS NOT reading ~/.tcshrc OR
    > > ~/.cshrc. How can I beat this machine into submission?

    In my case, the comments below allowed me to fix this problem:

    > How up to date is your shell? .tcshrc support was added late in the
    > development cycle (but probably still about 10 years ago). It's said
    > to be possible to compile the shell for a different execution order,
    > perhaps yours is compiled not to do these files at all? I've worked
    > with shells that skip the files in ~ if the ones in /etc/ exist.
    > Especially if there is an 'exit' in the /etc/ ones.
    > If that's the case you could code in support at the end of the /etc/
    > files, something like
    > if ( -e ~/.tcshrc ) then
    > source ~/.tcshrc
    > endif