ArtGem for Linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on ArtGem for Linux? - Questions ; Hello! Does anyone know if there is anything like ArtGem for Linux? All these crappy Paint-like programs make me puke. I cannot find anything suitable for Linux. I think I will have to apologize my old Amiga and use Brilliance... ...

  1. ArtGem for Linux?

    Hello!

    Does anyone know if there is anything like ArtGem for Linux?
    All these crappy Paint-like programs make me puke. I cannot find
    anything suitable for Linux. I think I will have to apologize my old
    Amiga and use Brilliance...
    So does anyone know of any good pixel-painter program or should I
    start coding my own ArtGem for Linux?

    thanks,
    m.

  2. Re: ArtGem for Linux?

    [ nonexistent comp.os.linux group removed ]
    On 16 Aug 2004 07:25:32 -0700, marti staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Does anyone know if there is anything like ArtGem for Linux?

    What does this "ArtGem" program do? I've never heard of it.

    > All these crappy Paint-like programs make me puke.

    Which ones have you tried, and what specifically did you hate about each
    one? If you don't post that info, someone will probably recommend
    something you've already tried.

    > I cannot find anything suitable for Linux. I think I will have to
    > apologize my old Amiga and use Brilliance... So does anyone know of
    > any good pixel-painter program or should I start coding my own ArtGem
    > for Linux?

    EXPN "pixel-painter"? If ArtGem is a graphics editing package (which
    seems likely), then the graphics editor par excellence for Linux is
    GIMP. It's on your distro CDs; install it and try it out. GIMP is
    supposed to be a replacement for Photoshop, so if you've ever used that,
    many parts of GIMP will seem familiar. You'd probably be better off
    reading the GIMP User Manual before doing anything serious with the
    program, though, since some people have complained about the interface
    not being exactly like Photoshop. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: ArtGem for Linux?

    marrcinus@yahoo.com (marti) wrote in message news:<76a2c725.0408160625.32379de7@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is anything like ArtGem for Linux?
    > All these crappy Paint-like programs make me puke. I cannot find
    > anything suitable for Linux. I think I will have to apologize my old
    > Amiga and use Brilliance...
    > So does anyone know of any good pixel-painter program or should I
    > start coding my own ArtGem for Linux?

    The Gimp is what you want.
    There are hundreds of bitmap editors, but The Gimp is a multi-featured
    artwork creation programme. Superb. http://www.gimp.org/, or
    included with most distros.

    Hint - right click on the canvas to get the file menus, if you are
    not using the latest version.

+ Reply to Thread