How can I killfile more efficiently? - Questions

This is a discussion on How can I killfile more efficiently? - Questions ; I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them. I have looked into Pan and Mozilla but couldn't find a means for this. I haven't looked ...

  1. How can I killfile more efficiently?

    I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from
    killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them.

    I have looked into Pan and Mozilla but couldn't find a means for this. I
    haven't looked into KNode as I don't want to use it for it's an online
    reader. Pan does have an option as "Filters -> Show Matching Articles'
    Subthreads" but what I need is the exact opposite i.e. "Hide Matching
    Articles' Subthreads".

    I would really appreciate any pointers, because hiding just the killfiled
    messages does no good when their replies (troll feeds) are visible,
    scattered all over the place.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  2. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    begin <41209667$0$73938$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    Abdullah Ramazanoglu writes:

    > I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from
    > killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them.
    >
    > I have looked into Pan and Mozilla but couldn't find a means for
    > this. I haven't looked into KNode as I don't want to use it for it's
    > an online reader. Pan does have an option as "Filters -> Show
    > Matching Articles' Subthreads" but what I need is the exact opposite
    > i.e. "Hide Matching Articles' Subthreads".
    >
    > I would really appreciate any pointers, because hiding just the
    > killfiled messages does no good when their replies (troll feeds) are
    > visible, scattered all over the place.

    knews can do it. You can kill on article, subject, thread and
    sub-thread. I don't think its supported anymore but it works fine
    albeit not as polished as other GUI newsreaders.

  3. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

    > I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from
    > killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them.
    >
    > I have looked into Pan and Mozilla but couldn't find a means for this. I
    > haven't looked into KNode as I don't want to use it for it's an online
    > reader. Pan does have an option as "Filters -> Show Matching Articles'
    > Subthreads" but what I need is the exact opposite i.e. "Hide Matching
    > Articles' Subthreads".
    >
    > I would really appreciate any pointers, because hiding just the killfiled
    > messages does no good when their replies (troll feeds) are visible,
    > scattered all over the place.

    One way to killfile Roy Culley is to filter for:

    nw8000.swissptt.ch

    All of his message id's contain this string...

    --
    incognito, updated 8/14/2004
    http://kentpsychedelic.blogspot.com

  4. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Hi Abdullah Ramazanoglu,

    To kill me and all references to me,
    just score on the References line in the Headers.

    Look for _Jeff_Relf_

    But I recommend that you do not kill anyone
    when they are replying to your messages.
    ( Just stop scoring if it's a reply )

  5. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    In article <41209667$0$73938$14726298@news.sunsite.dk> (Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    14:19:26 +0300), Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

    > I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from
    > killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them.

    Pan can do it. Right-click on the article starting the subthread, and
    select "Create Score" from the context menu. Then check the "References"
    box. Give it a large, negative score such as -9999.

    This isn't completely foolproof as you can't force those who follow
    up to keep the references header intact.

    > Pan does have an option as "Filters -> Show Matching Articles'
    > Subthreads" but what I need is the exact opposite i.e. "Hide Matching
    > Articles' Subthreads".

    See Pan's Filter menu, specifically items like "Match scores of -9999";
    turn this off.

    > I would really appreciate any pointers, because hiding just the killfiled
    > messages does no good when their replies (troll feeds) are visible,
    > scattered all over the place.

    If you want to delete the subthreads, not just hide them, create a rule
    ("Tools -> Rules") that references the filter and uses "Delete Articles"
    as its Action.

  6. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:27:07 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:

    > knews can do it.

    This? http://www.matematik.su.se/~kjj/knews.gif

  7. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

    > I haven't looked into KNode as I don't want
    > to use it for it's an online reader

    .... leafnode + knode
    ..
    If you're happy, you're successful.

  8. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    begin <1k7ukyjtuogsk.1ccze9bor3po6$.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Thomas Edison writes:
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:27:07 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
    >
    >> knews can do it.

    > This? http://www.matematik.su.se/~kjj/knews.gif

    Yup, that's it. Looks cool eh? :-)

    I use exmh for email. Here's a screenshot:

    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/exmh/thexmdi.htm

    Ugliest mailtool there is but there just isn't anything that has all
    the functionality of exmh

  9. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:40:37 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:

    > begin 1k7ukyjtuogsk.1ccze9bor3po6$.dlg@40tude.net,
    > Thomas Edison writes:
    >> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:27:07 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
    >>
    >>> knews can do it.

    >> This? http://www.matematik.su.se/~kjj/knews.gif

    > Yup, that's it. Looks cool eh? :-)

    Hehe.

    > I use exmh for email. Here's a screenshot:
    >
    > http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/exmh/thexmdi.htm
    >
    > Ugliest mailtool there is but there just isn't anything that has all
    > the functionality of exmh

    I've never seen anything quite like it.

  10. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Jeff Relf dedi ki:

    > Hi Abdullah Ramazanoglu,
    >
    > To kill me and all references to me,
    > just score on the References line in the Headers.
    >
    > Look for _Jeff_Relf_
    >
    > But I recommend that you do not kill anyone
    > when they are replying to your messages.
    > ( Just stop scoring if it's a reply )

    You must be a psychologist. How can a man killfile someone who innocently
    explains how to kill himself?

    Now, I don't plonk anybody easily even if I don't read, including trolls.
    Particularly, subtle and somewhat intelligible trolls are even useful to
    me as negative feedbacks needed to stay aware and to foresee with what
    kind of objections (as well as unspoken ones) I will have to deal when I
    try to introduce Linux to somewhere. I want to filter only garbage
    generators.

    I'll try all the methods suggested (thanks all). Already installed slrn
    but haven't looked into as yet.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  11. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Hamilcar Barca dedi ki:
    > In article <41209667$0$73938$14726298@news.sunsite.dk> (Mon, 16 Aug 2004
    > 14:19:26 +0300), Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a news reader with an option to hide messages from
    >> killfiled posters, and also hide the *whole* subthread beneath them.

    > Pan can do it. Right-click on the article starting the subthread, and
    > select "Create Score" from the context menu. Then check the "References"
    > box. Give it a large, negative score such as -9999.

    This is a good way to hide the whole subthread. But I don't want to do it
    on thread by thread basis. I'm looking for an "author" based solution.
    Thanks all the same.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  12. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Hi Abdullah Ramazanoglu,

    You wrote: " I want to filter only garbage generators. "

    A good way to do that is to score on the XRef line,
    or, if you are reading offline using a proxy,
    score on the Newsgroups line.

    For example:

    You might want to kill all messages that are cross-posted
    to any newsgroups with the word Politics in it.

    Again, I'd check if the message was a direct or indirect
    ( 5 levels away ) reply to you...

    ...then stop scoring if it is.

    ChisV is the perfect example of how not to score.

    He totally kills all references to people,
    so it's impossible for them to reply to him.
    ( To tell him what an ass he is )

    And he makes no effort to catch nymshifters.

    ( Not to mention how rude and annoying
    his constant " Plonk " messages are )

  13. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Hi Abdullah Ramazanoglu,

    You wrote: <<
    I'm looking for an " author " based solution. >>

    If you're using an offline newsreader via a proxy,
    then you can score on the Path line,
    with is the most effective way to catch nymshifters.

    Just look for certain domain names, e.g. Alt.NET,
    and/or Hex numbers that identify the user.

    This works even when people pre-load the Path line
    ( which Alt.NET, but few others, allows )

  14. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:26:14 +0000, Jeff Relf wrote:

    (snip)

    > ( Not to mention how rude and annoying
    > his constant " Plonk " messages are )

    .... as opposed to how annoying your posts are?
    --
    Rick

  15. Re: How can I killfile more efficiently?

    Jeff Relf wrote:
    > Hi Abdullah Ramazanoglu,
    >
    > You wrote: " I want to filter only garbage generators. "
    >
    > A good way to do that is to score on the XRef line,
    > or, if you are reading offline using a proxy,
    > score on the Newsgroups line.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > You might want to kill all messages that are cross-posted
    > to any newsgroups with the word Politics in it.
    >
    > Again, I'd check if the message was a direct or indirect
    > ( 5 levels away ) reply to you...
    >
    > ...then stop scoring if it is.
    >
    > ChisV is the perfect example of how not to score.
    >
    > He totally kills all references to people,
    > so it's impossible for them to reply to him.
    > ( To tell him what an ass he is )
    >
    > And he makes no effort to catch nymshifters.
    >
    > ( Not to mention how rude and annoying
    > his constant " Plonk " messages are )

    Great advice.

    Roy Culley is one of the most easily killable because his ISP appears in
    the messageid and its very specific to him.

+ Reply to Thread