Installing FTE - Questions

This is a discussion on Installing FTE - Questions ; I am currently running Redhat 9.0. I use VIM for my text editor for most tasks, but my current build does not have access to the clipboard, and from time to time, I need that. I do not have the ...

  1. Installing FTE

    I am currently running Redhat 9.0. I use VIM for my text editor for
    most tasks, but my current build does not have access to the clipboard,
    and from time to time, I need that. I do not have the expertise to
    rebuild it so it has this. I want a console editor, and based upon
    previous experience, I want to install FTE. I have downloaded various
    FTE packages from Sourceforge.net (fte-0.49.13-2.src.tar.gz
    fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz), but can't seem to get any of them to work.
    Specifically, they contain a Makefile that refers to what I gather is a
    Unix Makefile within the /src directory. However, I see no Unix
    Makefile within that directory.

    Is anyone currently using FTE on their relatively recent Redhat
    distribution, and if so, from where did you get it? Thank you.
    -----------------------
    David Smith
    1845 Purdue Ave #3
    Los Angeles Calif 90025-5592
    (310) 478-8050

  2. Re: Installing FTE

    A late reply.

    I can run FTE on Fedora Core 2 just fine.
    I downloaded the fte-20020324-common.zip and fte-20020324-src.zip files, and
    the latter has a Makefile. The src directory contains a Makefile, too,
    which in turn refers to a fte-unix.mak file. There are probably newer
    versions of FTE. Also, there is also a KFTE, which has a KDE-like look and
    feel, but that one was mainly created for Mandrake and I haven't managed to
    get it to work in Fedora Core 2.

    J.Neuhoff

    David Smith wrote:

    > I am currently running Redhat 9.0. I use VIM for my text editor for
    > most tasks, but my current build does not have access to the clipboard,
    > and from time to time, I need that. I do not have the expertise to
    > rebuild it so it has this. I want a console editor, and based upon
    > previous experience, I want to install FTE. I have downloaded various
    > FTE packages from Sourceforge.net (fte-0.49.13-2.src.tar.gz
    > fte-0.49.13-4.src.tar.gz), but can't seem to get any of them to work.
    > Specifically, they contain a Makefile that refers to what I gather is a
    > Unix Makefile within the /src directory. However, I see no Unix
    > Makefile within that directory.
    >
    > Is anyone currently using FTE on their relatively recent Redhat
    > distribution, and if so, from where did you get it? Thank you.
    > David Smith
    > 1845 Purdue Ave #3
    > Los Angeles Calif 90025-5592
    > (310) 478-8050