How to increase Maximum Threads per Process in SuSE Linux? - Questions

This is a discussion on How to increase Maximum Threads per Process in SuSE Linux? - Questions ; Hi, I am using SuSE Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.18. I have created a python script to count the maximum number of threads per process (by starting new threads continuously until it breaks). Currently, the script is breaking at 1024th ...

  1. How to increase Maximum Threads per Process in SuSE Linux?

    Hi,

    I am using SuSE Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.18. I have created a python
    script to count the maximum number of threads per process (by starting
    new threads continuously until it breaks).

    Currently, the script is breaking at 1024th thread which made me
    believe that a single process can handle up to 1024 threads. The
    question is: Where can I modify this setting (the maximum threads per
    process) in SuSE Linux because I want to pull-up even more?

    (Hint: in HP, they have this kernel parameter: MAX_THREAD_PROC and I
    am looking for the equivalent parameter in SuSE).

    Thanks and hope to hear soon.
    Ronan

  2. Re: How to increase Maximum Threads per Process in SuSE Linux?

    Ronan Viernes wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using SuSE Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.18. I have created a python
    > script to count the maximum number of threads per process (by starting
    > new threads continuously until it breaks).
    >
    > Currently, the script is breaking at 1024th thread which made me
    > believe that a single process can handle up to 1024 threads. The
    > question is: Where can I modify this setting (the maximum threads per
    > process) in SuSE Linux because I want to pull-up even more?
    >
    > (Hint: in HP, they have this kernel parameter: MAX_THREAD_PROC and I
    > am looking for the equivalent parameter in SuSE).
    >
    > Thanks and hope to hear soon.
    > Ronan

    On SuSE 9.0, you can use:

    echo 2048 > /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

    YMMV with SuSE 7.1

    To check the current value, use:

    cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

  3. Re: How to increase Maximum Threads per Process in SuSE Linux?

    Ronan Viernes wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using SuSE Linux 7.1 with Kernel 2.4.18. I have created a python
    > script to count the maximum number of threads per process (by starting
    > new threads continuously until it breaks).
    >
    > Currently, the script is breaking at 1024th thread which made me
    > believe that a single process can handle up to 1024 threads. The
    > question is: Where can I modify this setting (the maximum threads per
    > process) in SuSE Linux because I want to pull-up even more?
    >
    > (Hint: in HP, they have this kernel parameter: MAX_THREAD_PROC and I
    > am looking for the equivalent parameter in SuSE).
    >
    > Thanks and hope to hear soon.
    > Ronan

    I know that for SuSE Linux 9.0, you can adjust the number of threads by
    writing a value into /proc/sys/kernel/max-threads. So, to set it to
    2048, use:

    echo 2048 >/proc/sys/kernel/max-threads

    To see the current value, use:

    cat /proc/sys/kernel/max-threads

    YMMV with SuSE 7.1, but it should be very similar.

+ Reply to Thread