Laptop external monitor - Questions

This is a discussion on Laptop external monitor - Questions ; I recently upgraded my Debian installation from "woody" to "testing". Other than a few bumps this was relatively painless. However, there is one outstanding problem, brought about by the change in X setup. I am running Linux from a laptop ...

  1. Laptop external monitor

    I recently upgraded my Debian installation from "woody" to "testing".
    Other than a few bumps this was relatively painless. However, there is
    one outstanding problem, brought about by the change in X setup.

    I am running Linux from a laptop with an external monitor (a 15"
    Iiyama TFT) as my main display. Since upgrading, the monitor no longer
    configures properly and the display is far too wide to fit on the
    screen. Adjusting the monitor's controls helps a little, but it still
    doesn't fit. I've also tried poking my XF86Config file to no avail.
    The problem is that it display perfectly on the native laptop monitor.
    I've also tried attaching a CRT monitor which has exactly the same
    problem. Basically, the stuff coming out of the pipe at the back is
    *too wide*, whereas the stuff going to the native TFT is fine.

    I don't seem to find any record of this on the web, although I'm
    having difficulty formulating a sensible query. Does anybody have any
    ideas?

    Peter

  2. Re: Laptop external monitor

    Peter Saffrey wrote:

    > I recently upgraded my Debian installation from "woody" to "testing".
    > Other than a few bumps this was relatively painless. However, there is
    > one outstanding problem, brought about by the change in X setup.
    >
    > I am running Linux from a laptop with an external monitor (a 15"
    > Iiyama TFT) as my main display. Since upgrading, the monitor no longer
    > configures properly and the display is far too wide to fit on the
    > screen. Adjusting the monitor's controls helps a little, but it still
    > doesn't fit. I've also tried poking my XF86Config file to no avail.
    > The problem is that it display perfectly on the native laptop monitor.
    > I've also tried attaching a CRT monitor which has exactly the same
    > problem. Basically, the stuff coming out of the pipe at the back is
    > *too wide*, whereas the stuff going to the native TFT is fine.
    >
    > I don't seem to find any record of this on the web, although I'm
    > having difficulty formulating a sensible query. Does anybody have any
    > ideas?
    >
    > Peter

    I have had a similar problem but it was fixed with a kernel update!

    --
    Michael The Sane!

+ Reply to Thread