Linux IDE - Questions

This is a discussion on Linux IDE - Questions ; Hi, I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other alternatives? Thank you. Will...

  1. Linux IDE

    Hi,

    I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.
    I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other alternatives?
    Thank you.

    Will

  2. Re: Linux IDE

    Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when wv9557@yahoo.com (Will) wrote:
    > I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual
    > Studio IDE. I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any
    > other alternatives?

    Most alternatives do not resemble Microsoft's derivation of Borland's
    IDE tools at all.
    --
    "cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
    http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/postgresql.html

  3. Re: Linux IDE

    I haven't seen the latest MSVS but I'd recommend Eclipse.

    I use it on both linux & win systems to develop in vbs, sql, php and
    java. The number of plugins is pretty impressive and you can usually
    find a free one that will do what you want.

    It's available on most OS's and beinag able to use multiple languages in
    the one program is a bonus as you don't need to re-learn the tools.

    You might be put off by its apparent simplicity but you can make it as
    complex or simple as you want by choosing your plugins.

    Will wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.
    > I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other alternatives?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Will

  4. Re: Linux IDE

    Looks like you are using eclipse already

    I didn't realise SlickEdit was available as an Eclipse plugin.

  5. Re: Linux IDE

    Will wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual Studio
    > IDE. I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other
    > alternatives? Thank you.
    >
    > Will

    Kylix ?
    Borland's Linux IDE
    http://www.drbob42.com/kylix/hotshot.htm

    George

  6. Re: Linux IDE

    Will wrote:

    > I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.
    > I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other alternatives?

    .... kylix from borland
    ..
    "I have made mistakes but I have never made the mistake of claiming
    that I have never made one." -- James Gordon Bennett

  7. Re: Linux IDE

    "mjt" wrote in message
    news:rW5xc.25199$Tn6.2916@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
    > Will wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for an IDE that closely resembles the Microsoft Visual

    Studio IDE.
    > > I am playing with SlickEdit, and it looks good. Any other alternatives?

    > ... kylix from borland
    > .

    They have (had?) a free version for download. But check the kylix groups
    under newsgroups.borland.com. I think the future of kylix is uncertain...

    Gunnar.

  8. Re: Linux IDE

    Gunnar wrote:

    >> ... kylix from borland

    > They have (had?) a free version for download. But check the kylix groups
    > under newsgroups.borland.com. I think the future of kylix is uncertain...

    .... same holds true for m$
    ..
    When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.

  9. Re: Linux IDE

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > Gunnar wrote:
    >
    > >> ... kylix from borland

    > > They have (had?) a free version for download. But check the kylix groups
    > > under newsgroups.borland.com. I think the future of kylix is uncertain...

    > ... same holds true for m$
    > .

    is that your honest opinion or just hatredness and personal prejudice against M$?

  10. Re: Linux IDE

    Jay wrote:

    > I think the future of kylix is uncertain...
    >>
    >> ... same holds true for m$

    > is that your honest opinion or just hatredness and personal prejudice against M$?

    .... mostly educated opinion - and a bit of the prejudice
    ..
    "Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing; a confusion
    of the real with the ideal never goes unpunished." - Goethe

+ Reply to Thread