dircmp - Questions

This is a discussion on dircmp - Questions ; Some Unix operating systems have the 'dircmp' command to compare directories, but it seems that SUSE Linux 9.0 Pro (kernel 2.4) does not. How can I download a binary of dircmp? Is there another command with similar functionality? What I ...

  1. dircmp

    Some Unix operating systems have the 'dircmp' command to compare
    directories, but it seems that SUSE Linux 9.0 Pro (kernel 2.4) does
    not. How can I download a binary of dircmp? Is there another command
    with similar functionality?

    What I want to do is

    (1) list all the file names present in one directory but not another
    (2) list file names found in two directories for which the file
    contents are different.

  2. Re: dircmp

    beliavsky@aol.com wrote in message news:<3064b51d.0406061421.fe87941@posting.google.com>...

    > (1) list all the file names present in one directory but not another
    > (2) list file names found in two directories for which the file
    > contents are different.

    You could try rsync. It's meant for synchronising directories and
    therefore needs to track differences and changes between those
    directories. Used in "dry run" mode (-n) it would tell you what it
    needed to copy, which would solve your problem.

    Peter

  3. Re: dircmp

    In article <3064b51d.0406061421.fe87941@posting.google.com>,
    wrote:
    > Some Unix operating systems have the 'dircmp' command to compare
    > directories, but it seems that SUSE Linux 9.0 Pro (kernel 2.4) does
    > not. How can I download a binary of dircmp? Is there another command
    > with similar functionality?
    >
    > What I want to do is
    >
    > (1) list all the file names present in one directory but not another

    find dir1 -type f > file1
    find dir2 -type f > file2
    diff file1 file2

    > (2) list file names found in two directories for which the file
    > contents are different.

    Some script involving find, "comm -12", and those two files you made in the
    first part. Maybe "comm" won't recognize the lines if they're at different
    offsets...

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

  4. Re: dircmp

    On 6 Jun 2004 15:21:09 -0700, wrote:

    > Some Unix operating systems have the 'dircmp' command to compare
    > directories, but it seems that SUSE Linux 9.0 Pro (kernel 2.4) does
    > not. How can I download a binary of dircmp? Is there another command
    > with similar functionality?
    >
    > What I want to do is
    >
    > (1) list all the file names present in one directory but not another
    > (2) list file names found in two directories for which the file
    > contents are different.

    See gnu diff, it does pretty much the same as dircmp.
    Not sure if there's an option to not show the diffs
    between the different files or not though.

  5. Re: dircmp

    beliavsky@aol.com wrote:
    > Some Unix operating systems have the 'dircmp' command to compare
    > directories, but it seems that SUSE Linux 9.0 Pro (kernel 2.4) does

    It has the same functionality within "diff".

    > (1) list all the file names present in one directory but not another
    > (2) list file names found in two directories for which the file
    > contents are different.

    diff --brief dir1 dir2

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread