pppd starts, but no connection - Questions

This is a discussion on pppd starts, but no connection - Questions ; Hi, I'm trying to set up a ppp connection using an Intel 536EP hardware modem. The connection works fine under windows. I installed the modem drivers without problems and used wvdial to set up the various details. It starts a ...

  1. pppd starts, but no connection

    Hi,

    I'm trying to set up a ppp connection using an Intel 536EP hardware
    modem. The connection works fine under windows.

    I installed the modem drivers without problems and used wvdial to set
    up the various details. It starts a pppd session and, according to
    /var/log/messages, assigns me an ip address and DNS servers. However,
    I can't ping the outside world or connect, although I can ping the DNS
    servers. The only message to indicate any possible problems is in
    /var/log/messages which indicates modprobe can't find ppp-compress-21.
    Could this be causing my problems? What other things can I try?

    Thanks,

    Peter

  2. Re: pppd starts, but no connection

    I fixed this by manually setting resolv.conf with the DNS servers
    listed in /var/log/messages when it connects. I didn't think I had to
    do this with ppp, but obviously I do.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread