VNC problem in linux - Questions

This is a discussion on VNC problem in linux - Questions ; Hi -- When I run tightvnc viewer 1.x (I tried 1.22, 1.29 and 1.34) on my redhat linux 9 to access a remote server in US, it gets connected. But the dtterms on the solaris server get refreshed very slowly. ...

  1. VNC problem in linux

    Hi --
    When I run tightvnc viewer 1.x (I tried 1.22, 1.29 and 1.34) on my
    redhat linux 9 to access a remote server in US, it gets connected. But
    the dtterms on the solaris server get refreshed very slowly. It gets
    difficult to work. But when I open a vncviewer on my windows laptop
    the refreshing is fast. Both the hardware boxes have 100Mbps LAN card.
    Infact, my linux hardware is Pentium4, 2Ghz, 512MB memory while my
    laptop is P3, 700Mhz, 256MB memory.

    The display card of the linux system has been set to 128MB memory,
    still the refreshing is slow on linux. Any specific reason why it is
    so?
    Please let me know if I need to look at more info or config.

    TIA,
    -Moo

  2. Re: VNC problem in linux

    Moo wrote:
    > Hi --
    > When I run tightvnc viewer 1.x (I tried 1.22, 1.29 and 1.34) on my
    > redhat linux 9 to access a remote server in US, it gets connected. But
    > the dtterms on the solaris server get refreshed very slowly. It gets
    > difficult to work. But when I open a vncviewer on my windows laptop
    > the refreshing is fast. Both the hardware boxes have 100Mbps LAN card.
    > Infact, my linux hardware is Pentium4, 2Ghz, 512MB memory while my
    > laptop is P3, 700Mhz, 256MB memory.
    >
    > The display card of the linux system has been set to 128MB memory,
    > still the refreshing is slow on linux. Any specific reason why it is
    > so?
    > Please let me know if I need to look at more info or config.

    http://www.tightvnc.com/vncviewer.1.html

    Lover the depth and quality and raise your compresslevel and lastly, use the
    local xcursor instead of the remote, should speed it up quite a lot.

    //Aho

  3. Re: VNC problem in linux

    When you say connecting in the US, are you doing this via the internet
    over a 100mbps internet link,or directly to a machine on your LAN?

    And.. where are you connecting from.

    Moo wrote:

    > Hi --
    > When I run tightvnc viewer 1.x (I tried 1.22, 1.29 and 1.34) on my
    > redhat linux 9 to access a remote server in US, it gets connected. But
    > the dtterms on the solaris server get refreshed very slowly. It gets
    > difficult to work. But when I open a vncviewer on my windows laptop
    > the refreshing is fast. Both the hardware boxes have 100Mbps LAN card.
    > Infact, my linux hardware is Pentium4, 2Ghz, 512MB memory while my
    > laptop is P3, 700Mhz, 256MB memory.
    >
    > The display card of the linux system has been set to 128MB memory,
    > still the refreshing is slow on linux. Any specific reason why it is
    > so?
    > Please let me know if I need to look at more info or config.
    >
    > TIA,
    > -Moo

  4. Re: VNC problem in linux

    Fritz wrote in message news:...
    > When you say connecting in the US, are you doing this via the internet
    > over a 100mbps internet link,or directly to a machine on your LAN?
    >
    > And.. where are you connecting from.

    Thru 256K leased line internet connectivity.

    -Moo

  5. Re: VNC problem in linux

    Then the 100mpbs cards don't matter the limiting factor is the 256k line.

    You should drop the colours to 8bit and probably 800x600 on the remote box.

    That should speed things up.

    I often VNC into work using ssh tunnels over 512k adsl and it's almost
    realtime for the most part at 8 bit 800x600.

    The 8 bit setting should be in the client options.

    I normally have full screen polling on as well.

    Moo wrote:
    > Fritz wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>When you say connecting in the US, are you doing this via the internet
    >>over a 100mbps internet link,or directly to a machine on your LAN?
    >>
    >>And.. where are you connecting from.
    >>

    > Thru 256K leased line internet connectivity.
    >
    > -Moo

+ Reply to Thread