How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ? - Questions

This is a discussion on How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ? - Questions ; (this question likely applies to all Redhat distos of Linux) (Exec. Summary: how do I set up my computer to print to a Hawking mini print server that is already installed on my network?) I have a home network with ...

  1. How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    (this question likely applies to all Redhat distos of Linux)
    (Exec. Summary: how do I set up my computer to print to a Hawking mini
    print server that is already installed on my network?)

    I have a home network with 2 PCs: one running WinXP and one running
    Fedora Core 1, networked together using a Linksys router/switch/hub. I
    have a printer that plugs directly into one of the Ethernet ports on the
    hub (actually, it's a parallel printer that goes thru a small
    parallel-to-Ethernet box, which is actually called a print server;
    Netgear and Hawking both make this device; mine is the Hawking HPS1P).

    Anyway, setting up the Hawking print server on the Windows computer was
    very straightforward: install the .exe file on the computer, then go
    thru the "Add Printer" wizard. The only wierd thing about this Hawking
    device is that although it let me specify the IP address (I used
    192.168.1.109), when I went thru the wizard it made me choose "Local
    Printer" and then select the printer port as "HPS1P". This seemed
    counterintuitive to select a Local Printer for a printer that is
    supposedly on my network.

    So now I'm trying to set up the printer in Linux and I haven't a clue
    how to do it. I go into the Gnome Print manager and right click the
    printer which I set up, and select Properties. This brings up the
    Printer Configuration window. I select the print queue and click Edit,
    which brings up the Edit a Print Queue window.

    I'm a newbie, so I don't even know if I'm heading in the right direction.

    Next, on the 2nd tab (Queue Type), I have 6 choices: Locally connected,
    Networked CUPS (IPP), Networked UNIX (LPD), Networked Windows (SMB),
    Networked Novell (NCP), and Networked JedDirect. No idea what to
    choose. I tried all of them, but didn't know what info to fill in the
    fields.

    For what it's worth, if I type 192.168.1.109 into my web browser in
    Linux, I get a pretty elaborate setup tab for the Hawking device. They
    state in the manual that they support Linux and Unix, but give no
    documentation on how to set it up.

    Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

  2. Re: How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:35:25 -0400, gurdude wrote:

    > (this question likely applies to all Redhat distos of Linux) (Exec.
    > server that is already installed on my network?)

    > So now I'm trying to set up the printer in Linux and I haven't a clue
    > how to do it. I go into the Gnome Print manager and right click the
    > printer which I set up, and select Properties. This brings up the
    > Printer Configuration window. I select the print queue and click Edit,
    > which brings up the Edit a Print Queue window.
    >
    > I'm a newbie, so I don't even know if I'm heading in the right
    > direction.
    >
    > Next, on the 2nd tab (Queue Type), I have 6 choices: Locally connected,
    > Networked CUPS (IPP), Networked UNIX (LPD), Networked Windows (SMB),
    > Networked Novell (NCP), and Networked JedDirect. No idea what to
    > choose. I tried all of them, but didn't know what info to fill in the
    > fields.

    Hmmm.... Try using the Networked UNIX as the Queue Type.

    The Server will be the IP address you assigned The Queue will be lp0

    The rest depends on your printer. If your printer is one of the HP DeskJet
    series then choose the Networked JetDirect instead for the Queue Type and
    use still use the IP address with the port being 9100 (or the port
    Hawkings Technology's manual states).

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/index.html

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  3. Re: How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. However,
    since yesterday's posting, I found that when I enter the web-based printer
    utilities screen (by typing 192.168.1.109 into the browser), I am able to
    print a test page using the button that they've got on that screen. Trouble
    is, it's not really like printing a test page from the Linux OS. I'm just
    doing it from the browser, which happens to be running in Linux.

    I scoured the web and found a few Apple folks that found some wierd behavior
    with this print server, so maybe it's just going to require some more
    digging.

    > Hmmm.... Try using the Networked UNIX as the Queue Type.
    >
    > The Server will be the IP address you assigned The Queue will be lp0
    >
    > The rest depends on your printer. If your printer is one of the HP DeskJet
    > series then choose the Networked JetDirect instead for the Queue Type and
    > use still use the IP address with the port being 9100 (or the port
    > Hawkings Technology's manual states).
    >
    > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/index.html
    >
    > http://www.linuxprinting.org/
    >

    > --
    > "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    > we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  4. Re: How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    gurdude wrote:
    > (this question likely applies to all Redhat distos of Linux)
    > (Exec. Summary: how do I set up my computer to print to a Hawking mini
    > print server that is already installed on my network?)
    >
    > I have a home network with 2 PCs: one running WinXP and one running
    > Fedora Core 1, networked together using a Linksys router/switch/hub. I
    > have a printer that plugs directly into one of the Ethernet ports on the
    > hub (actually, it's a parallel printer that goes thru a small
    > parallel-to-Ethernet box, which is actually called a print server;
    > Netgear and Hawking both make this device; mine is the Hawking HPS1P).
    >
    > Anyway, setting up the Hawking print server on the Windows computer was
    > very straightforward: install the .exe file on the computer, then go
    > thru the "Add Printer" wizard. The only wierd thing about this Hawking
    > device is that although it let me specify the IP address (I used
    > 192.168.1.109), when I went thru the wizard it made me choose "Local
    > Printer" and then select the printer port as "HPS1P". This seemed
    > counterintuitive to select a Local Printer for a printer that is
    > supposedly on my network.
    >
    > So now I'm trying to set up the printer in Linux and I haven't a clue
    > how to do it. I go into the Gnome Print manager and right click the
    > printer which I set up, and select Properties. This brings up the
    > Printer Configuration window. I select the print queue and click Edit,
    > which brings up the Edit a Print Queue window.
    >
    > I'm a newbie, so I don't even know if I'm heading in the right direction.
    >
    > Next, on the 2nd tab (Queue Type), I have 6 choices: Locally connected,
    > Networked CUPS (IPP), Networked UNIX (LPD), Networked Windows (SMB),
    > Networked Novell (NCP), and Networked JedDirect. No idea what to
    > choose. I tried all of them, but didn't know what info to fill in the
    > fields.
    >
    > For what it's worth, if I type 192.168.1.109 into my web browser in
    > Linux, I get a pretty elaborate setup tab for the Hawking device. They
    > state in the manual that they support Linux and Unix, but give no
    > documentation on how to set it up.
    >
    > Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

    I also use a Hawking print server (though it is not the HPS1P). Hawking
    requires that the port name also be specified. According to an article
    on their website (http://www.hawkingtech.com/news.php?id=20) you must
    use lpt1 as the port for that print server. So in you case I would try
    the following:

    ip address set to ipp://192.168.1.109:631/lpt1

    Regards,
    David

  5. still no dice

    David,

    I thought for sure that you suggestion would work. I had been entering
    http://192.... as the IP address, so I thought that changing it to
    ipp://192... would do the trick. No such luck. I tried your suggestion
    plus several variations of it, and still cannot get it to print.

    Thanks anyways.
    -G

    "David" wrote in message
    > I also use a Hawking print server (though it is not the HPS1P). Hawking
    > requires that the port name also be specified. According to an article
    > on their website (http://www.hawkingtech.com/news.php?id=20) you must
    > use lpt1 as the port for that print server. So in you case I would try
    > the following:
    >
    > ip address set to ipp://192.168.1.109:631/lpt1
    >
    > Regards,
    > David

  6. Re: How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    gurdude wrote:

    > Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

    If I may add my $0.02, I just selected LPD as my queue, specified
    192.168.1.109 as the ip AND restarted the LPD (service lpd restart).

    Here's how a simple /etc/printcap file looks like:

    hp:\
    :ml#0:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp/hp.acct:\
    :rm=192.168.1.109:\
    :lpd_bounce=true:\
    :if=/usr/share/printconf/util/mf_wrapper:

    HTH

  7. Re: How to set up my computer to print to a mini print server ?

    I had a similar problem with my fancy new iMac trying to print to a Brother HL-1440 laser printer that I have on my (hitherto completely Windows) network. The printer server that interfaces to the HL-1440 is the Hawking HPS1P. I was encountering the same problem until I found this thread which provided me with the inspiration to get through the final hurdles.

    In OS/X you go to the System Preferences to and go to Print & Fax. Click on the "+" sign to add a new printer and select the IP tab. I left the default "LPD" as the protocol (it's supposed to be supported by the HPS1P, after all) and entered the IP address of the HPS1P (192.168.1.250 in my case). The queue was entered as "LPT1" (no quotes). In terms of the driver, I'd previously downloaded the new CUPS driver from Brother and I made sure I selected that. "Name" and "Location" are window dressing, but I entered those too.

    Click on "Add" and you are done! Frankly I think the printer responded quicker than my Windows machines make it do!

    Simon

+ Reply to Thread