How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc) - Questions

This is a discussion on How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc) - Questions ; For some reason, the extended ASCII characters past 127 will not appear (at all) in my Linux console. I have tried all of the following: - echo -e "\016" and "\017" (1st made 127 visible as a small square) - ...

  1. How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

    For some reason, the extended ASCII characters past 127 will not
    appear (at all) in my Linux console. I have tried all of the
    following:
    - echo -e "\016" and "\017" (1st made 127 visible as a small square)
    - echo -e "\x1b(B" (I tried both ( and ) with B 0 U and K)
    - setterm -term ansi (also tried -term linux)
    - setfont cp850-8x16 (after 127 was visible this made it an arrow)
    - mapscrn trivial with echo -e "\x1b(K \016"

    If anyone has any other ideas about this please give me some advice.
    Thanks in advance,

    - Stuart

  2. Re: How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

  3. Re: How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:37:09 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Stuart P wrote:
    > | For some reason, the extended ASCII characters past 127 will not appear
    > | (at all) in my Linux console.
    >
    > For once and for all time, there is NO SUCH THING as "extended ASCII", and
    > there are /NO/ ASCII characters beyond 0x7F.
    >
    > If you want characters with values greater than 0x7F, then /you DONT want
    > ASCII/

    He wants some of those dos box characters.
    They are free to use from IBM, but not "free" and not pure enough for GNU.
    How to get them? Is there really anything in all that good reading
    that will explicitly say? Maybe. Very helpful. daveA

    --
    Paying more at the gas pump? Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
    Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,

  4. Re: How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

  5. Re: How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

  6. Re: How to display extended ASCII characters? (boxes, lines, etc)

    Lew...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII

    That's why people call it that.

+ Reply to Thread